Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:28 AM   #1

Hi folk,

A while ago I had Windows 98SE replaced with Windows XP, but I think I had the followingproblem with both progs.

My computer won't recognise that I have a scanner, unless I turn it off first (the computer), THEN turn on the scanner, then turn the computer back on.:?

Related to this,the Camera and Scanner Wizard doesn't automatically come on when I plug in my camera to download. I have to activate it by going to "My computer" then clicking on the camera drive (which has a name something like "portable drive G".)

Downloading my pix this way is fine. Turning the computeroff and on again,to get the scanner to work, is more of a pain.

It would be great if anyone could help me with this, in fairly simple words if possible .....

abw,

Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:05 AM   #2
Administrator

Do you have the latest service packs (some USB devices didn't work properly unless SP1 was installed with Windows 'XP, and some users reported problems after installing SP2).

Is the scanner USB? You may want to try updating the drivers (or perhaps even deleting the USB related hardware and letting Windows reinstall it again). See this recent thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=78

If you're not comfortable doing these things, you may want to find someone that is "PC Savvy" to help out.

It's also possible that you've got a conflict with another USB Device. You may want to try unplugging printers, etc., and see if that makes any difference.

Quote:
Related to this,the Camera and Scanner Wizard doesn't automatically come on when I plug in my camera to download. I have to activate it by going to "My computer" then clicking on the camera drive (which has a name something like "portable drive G".)
Well, you will need to make sure you're telling Windows that you want the Camera and Scanner Wizard to come on for your camera.Right click on the drive associated with your camera and select "Properties".Then, select the "Auto Play" tab. Select "Pictures" from the drop down list at the top, then you can tell Windows what action you want it to take (use the Windows Camera Wizard, open a Folder showing you the files, etc) when it sees the camera plugged in.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:28 AM   #3

Yep!!
That is the way it is, I have A Minolta scan Multi and also An Epson 1650. They are both twain and have to be on when I boot up my computer. The 1650 flatbed stays on all of the time but I do shut the Minolta off when I'm not going to use it. I have Windows 98SE. My friend Jack has the nikon film scanner and XP and it works the same way. The scanners have to be on when turning on Your computer. There is nothing wrong. It is just the way it is.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:40 PM   #4

Hi Jim and Ronnie,

Many thanks for your:idea: and advice- they are greatly appreciated.

Thanks to you I've sorted the Wizard. It is once again doing its thing automatically.

I've decided to let the scanner be. I've heard so many negative reports about problems created by SP2, that I'm just gratefulI've been pretty free (so far)ofhiccups.I shall let sleeping dogs lie - especially where SP2 may be involved... It may alsojust be a scanner thing, as you say Ronnie.

Anyway, thanks again for your time and help.

abw,

Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote