Old Oct 30, 2002, 11:45 PM   #2
NHL

Default This is FAQ !!!

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3837

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=#15928

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...19db81a7#13269
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 1:05 AM   #3

Though It is a very difficult choice, i personally would stick to the 5700 as my other eqpt is Nikon as well and accessories of my old eqpt like flash, off camera cord etc. could be used with it.

ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 7:00 AM   #4
NHL

I wouldn't narrow my choice to just one camera brand to save a flash and an off-camera cord, especially when it's not well integrated in this department, and external strobes in general.
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3864

If one widen the choice, other cameras have much better feature sets as well as foregoing the off-camera cord since it can do it wirelessly with multi-units, as well as multi-ratio. Even though the 5700 is an excellent camera, it can not hold up to the D7Hi in term of speed of operation and features... or price! Nikon might make outstanding film cameras (or dSLR), but in this price category of digicams, I'm sorry to say it's not their best effort.

To get a laser pointer, black tape, and other weird accessories or add-ons to a $1000 purchase in order to overcome the camera limitation and to stay brand loyal is beyond me!
Old Oct 31, 2002, 11:45 AM   #5

Sony ... bad choice of memory format

Nikon vs Minolta

I own the Nikon but if I were to buy now would probably go Minolta for tghe better speed, OTOH, the Minolta lacks the flexible screen a big advantage!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 12:58 PM   #6

This is an old discussion, which will never end. Naturally!

Like Steves - I own a CP5700. I'm satisfied at this moment with the camera, but I'm not slow to say it could be better. A lot better! Just like the 7hi, which also lack some things - depending of what use you will make of it. That's the important issue to remember!

What are you primary use of it ? Are you gonna need a big zoom, realistic and great colors - or are you gonna need a fast autofocus, studio flash options bla bla bla. Read about it here and there!

My choice TODAY will be the 7hi - but I will miss the 280mm zoom, the scubadiving possibillity and some other things! But I could need a really fast autofocus and manuel focusring!

But maybe in about two or three weeks it will be the new Nikon CP6000 with EVERYTHING I NEED I AND ON IT! More MP, manual focus a.s.o.

Are you willing to wait ? (The nightmare of all digicambuyers - right! Buy today - be sorry tomorrow! The camera of tomorrow will be cheaper and better, okay maybe not cheaper!)

Good luck!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 1:34 PM   #7
NHL

Just like everything, it's a trade off. I wouldn't care for the flexible LCD (the D7 flexible EVF is better for macro), and rather have a 28mm wide angle for scenery over a long zoom.

What I do miss on the Minolta is the BSS and the 3:2 aspect ratio of the Nikon... It's just such a nice crop factor and can also be useful when one forgets the tripod! May be both manufacturers should get together and make us consumers happy! Ney --- that's too logical
Old Oct 31, 2002, 4:20 PM   #8

Agree NHL!

I think it a little bit sad, the way they make the digicams. Everybody knows how they steal from each other! Design, features etc. But who helps them building the camera in the end. Ok - Minolta seems to be listening to their buyers/reviewers - Nikon seems not!
The problem with Minolta 7 series maybe is, that it's a result of listening too much AND TOO FAST to the buyers. The spit out three camera in a row, with relative small step-ups. Great idea to develope further on a good camera, but when I as a consumer buys i.e the 7i and then some month later sees a new 7hi on the market...well, I feel a little cheated in some way. Why not wait a little more and make a even better camera. Money - I know! But it's pretty irritating.
The same problem with Nikon, maybe even worse. By NOT listening at all (or just very little) they eventually will loose a lot of dedicated Nikonfans like myself. Their CP5000 was - in my eyes - a big failure...good camera, but just not good enough. Then CP5700 came also great and better but still not what we want. They did'nt listen to all the critizism...
Everybody knows...it's all about money, they just seems to forget, that for the consumers it's also all about money.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 4:31 PM   #9
NHL

Well in the case of Minolta, it was pretty easy. They only have to change the firmware, then upgrade to a faster processor in the 7i, and then add a buffer and paint it black in the 7hi! Easy work for lots of revenue.

Nikon has to start with the CP5000, and have major redesign for the EVF. They have learned just like Minolta did in their first D7 the slow focus in dark area, and the extra battery consumption of the EVF. Minolta improved this by updating the EVF less often to concentrate on the AF algorithm, but the problem with the D7 is that processor was just too slow, and they are forced to the faster processor in the D7i not by choice...

The biggest gripe I've got with Nikon is switching from the 990 NiMh to the EN-EL-1 on the 995, and never look back. Granted it makes a more compact design, but really stink for the consumer especially when @ 5Mpixels or more large storage is not only a convenience, but really required and the microdrive is the way to go. That another $150 option for what should be standard (or designed right in the 1st place!), since the EN-EL1 does not cut it. I hope someone at Nikon read this, and I don't mind buying Nikon again if they make the right move! This far it looks like the DCS-14N is the only upgrade path... with the EOS-1Ds out of the money!

BTW the D7 had the exact teething problem as the CP5700 is going through now with studio strobes, and it took Minolta almost a year to respond with the PCT-100 and the the firmware upgrade, so something is probably in the work @ Nikon as well....
Old Oct 31, 2002, 7:18 PM   #10

All good arguments, but I wouldn't throw out the F717 just because of the crappy MemoryStick just yet. There is something to be said for not having all one's eggs in one basket. Drop a 1 gig MicroDrive once when it's full of your vacation images and you might long for a pocket full of MemorySticks. I use both systems, but believe me until those images are backed up from my Micro
Drives to either my Digital Wallet or other media, I'm nervous!!

Yes, it's very convenient to use a MicroDrive and it's hell running out of memory just when one wants to take one more shot - but, and it's an important "but" - the purpose of a camera is to be able to take great photos.

All three of these cameras take excellent photos - but some are more flexible than others. The Minolta has the decided edge when it comes to lack of chromatic aberration. Whatever Minolta has done in firmware has absolutely minimized this issue. Even with an excellent lens, the Nikon still produces a good amount of CA and blooming as does the Sony.

On the other hand, the crispness of the the F717's images are absolutely astounding, and the low light capabilities are beyond either of the other two. The Nikon is more amenable to longer telephoto focal lengths and all three are relatively good at macro photography.

Which is better for "you" is the more salient question. If you spend lots of time in low light - the Sony is the better choice. If you spend more time at the telephoto end, the Nikon is the better choice. If not dinking around in PhotoShop or other software to clean up chromatic aberrations is important, perhaps the Minolta may be a better solution.

Each has its strengths and weaknesses - are are ultimately capable of producing better images than most users are capable of taking.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote