Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 1, 2002, 10:04 AM   #1

Default how well do these hi end ps digicams really output at 8x10

Is it safe to say that that given some degree of photo skills one could produce an 8x10 that is indistinguishable from a decent film SLR photo.For example sony 717,nikon 5700,minolta 7hi.using the same printer etc.I know that this is a basic question but for me it is the bottom line.
David
minolta x-700,canon elan 7
d77avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2002, 10:42 AM   #2

There will be a lot of opinions on that issue. My is that you can see the difference. The digiphoto has a lack of dynamic: dept in the motive. It's a little difficult to explain. But take a look at a DVD movie and then an videotape. You will see a similar difference. I'm not talking about grains, noise - but there is a difference in favor of the traditionel celloidfilm!

The diff. is huge in terms of the printer vs. trad. fotos and a little bit smaller acc. to a fotodealers make.

You have to try see for yourself!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2002, 11:25 AM   #3

Indistinguishable -- No. The professional photographer will be able to tell the difference. A person without the background of the professional would be pressed to tell the difference provided you using a high end camera and a top notch photo printer. The key is the printer. Digicams with 3mp or more can produce great 8X10 reproductions.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2002, 11:58 AM   #4

I agree that a hi-end printer can produce great photos and you won't be able to see the difference if you just have one printet photo and have nothing to compare with.
But in a comparision, it's my opinion, that you can tell a difference. A pretty big one in fact - depending of the photo! That doesn't mean that you won't be satisfied with a print.

However, I think that the printed version of a photo, still is a kind of gimmick towards friends and family. Not a solution if you want to give i.e 36 photos of your brothers wedding.
Old Nov 1, 2002, 1:41 PM   #5

A few of the weddings where I've been 'extra support' I've presented a CDROM of quality images next day, the shots are often informal and not always captured by the 'pro', there are plenty to choose from and my relatives and friends are happy to use a pc monitor or email photos, before the pro's shooting film have theirs out of the hypo!

Digicams may not yet be film, but still have a place. People are pressed for space these days and rather than go back to slide film, digicams may offer a better alternative. I do worry about electronic media standards though. Film is established and understood all over the world. I wonder where JPEG will be in 20 years time!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2002, 1:49 PM   #6

I agree with you voxmagna, but the issue was "printing". And I think printing out i.e 36 photos would be a nice gesture - but also very expensive.
Old Nov 1, 2002, 2:48 PM   #7

tHANKS TO ALL THAT RESPONDED.I REALIZE THAT THE INSTANT GRATIFICATION AND ABILITY TO EXPERIMENT AND THEN SEE RESULTS ON THE FLY ARE THE BIG ATTRACTIONS OF DIGITAL.I WANT TO JUMP IN but i also so want to output at least some 8x10s .I actually enjoy using photoshop and since im just a hobbiest.its not that time consuming.Im inclined to wait another year and then dive in always knowing better things are yet to come
Old Nov 1, 2002, 4:22 PM   #8

You're right - good luck to you!
Old Nov 1, 2002, 5:17 PM   #9

Klaus the pictures on your site are really varied as to subject matter and quite impressive....but how would they look as an 8x10 I guess as long as you didnt take the same pix with a film cam and compare side-by-side ... perfectly fine

David
Old Nov 2, 2002, 2:54 AM   #10

I haven't printet them all out - but the ones I have looks fine. Most people likes them and think they look marvelous on printed paper. I just like the job from my photodealer a lot better! I think there's a difference. But maybe you have to have photographing as a hobby to see the differende and care about it.