Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:04 AM   #1

I have owned for the last year a samsung V3 (3 mega pixel). The picture quality seemed pretty decent and i found the manual features useful e.g. long shutter lag. But in 12 months i have noticed 5 mega pixel camera for around the 200 pound/300 dollar mark and thought maybe i should get a new camera now rather than wait another year or so. I use my camera principly for indoor shots and night shots. What i want to know is if i get a 5mp wont i feel the need to get a 6 or 7mp camera another year down the line or is 5mp relatively future proof.
roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:00 AM   #2

Higher megapixels only help if you are going to print bigger pics, or you need more cropping room. Other than that, it isn't important.

I don't think you'll see much difference between your camera and modern cameras (at least if megapixels is the only thing you are looking at)... I would say it is not worth upgrading right now... (HOWEVER, if you are upgrading to a different "class" of camera, it's another story. For example, if you only have 3x zoom and upgrade to 10x zoom, it is a big difference; or if you go from ultra-compact to mid-end prosumer, it would be a different game)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:14 AM   #3

I will give you the same words of wisdom that I give to people wondering if they should wait to buy a new computer or computer upgrade.

With technology changing so rapidly, if you choose to wait until tomorrow to see what new technology comes available, you will never get a new computer. The same applies to cameras. You need to live in the present, not the future. Learn to use the equipment that is available NOW. If you wait for something new, you'll be left behind!

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:22 AM   #4

I see what your saying about the computer theory but i think its not really a direct comparison as digital cameras are catching up to normal cameras which once they do there is little else of importance that can be improved. Whereas computer have no ultimate goal instead they will always be faster better machines whilst for cameras the perfect (to our human) eye is the goal.

To the first poster: does this mean that if i print 6" by 4" you wont be able to tell the difference between my camera and a 5mp camera?
roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:34 AM   #5
Administrator

roots wrote:
Quote:
I see what your saying about the computer theory but i think its not really a direct comparison as digital cameras are catching up to normal cameras which once they do there is little else of importance that can be improved. Whereas computer have no ultimate goal instead they will always be faster better machines whilst for cameras the perfect (to our human) eye is the goal.

To the first poster: does this mean that if i print 6" by 4" you wont be able to tell the difference between my camera and a 5mp camera?
Well, I'm not the first poster... But, you won't be able to tell the difference between a 3 and 5 Megapixel model at that print size, if everything else about the cameras is the same.

There is much more to picking a camera than the number of pixels. You have to look at lens quality, image processing algorithms that impact contrast, sharpness, saturation, color accuracy, noise levels, etc.

Even at 8x10" print size, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference in quality between a 3 and 5 Megapixel Model at typical viewing distances, IF everything else about the cameras was identical. In some cases (if everything about the cameras is not identical), then you can even get a degradation in quality going to a higher resolution model (especially from a noise perspective). For smaller print sizes, how many megapixels a camera has is one of the least important factors.

For 4x6" prints, you definitely won't see any benefit to more megapixels, unless the camera you select has some other benefits to it (better image processing algorithms, better lens, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote