Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:31 PM   #1

:?Hi All - I have just purchased the C-8080 and what I thought was an upgrade from a Canon S-50, turns out to be a real pain to get pictures that are of the same quality. I will be the first totally admit that I'm far from even being a photo guru, more like "Early Beginner", but I didnt think this C-8080 should be that difficult to use for a Photo 101 person.

I'm thinking that maybe I read too many of the "Great Camera" posts and didnt do as much homework and Ishould have researched WEB Comments first. I had also looked at the D-70, but I mainly purchased the camera for Scuba Diving, and I was told the C-8080 used in a P-023 housing was the camera to use. Sonow I've got all of the accessories too. To much invested to sell on E-Bay, and I'm still hoping that it's "ME" and my ignorance about the camera and photography.

The main issue Im having is that it does not have an overall "AUTO" function, and with my lack of understanding, (Reading Books / Manual 3 times) all/most of my pictures are blurred or fuzzy.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Morenodogs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:38 PM   #2

Morenodogs3 wrote:
Quote:
:?The main issue Im having is that it does not have an overall "AUTO" function,

The reviews says it does have an auto mode. I've yet to see a digicam that didn't. You should try that mode for a while....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:29 PM   #3

That was one of the main reasons I was OK with purchasing the camera too. But as with the other camera I own or have used, there is a setting "Auto" that you can set. Unless I'm just not seeing this ICON or have not read the manual correctly, I don't see anything on the camera that would indicate that its available, although it states that you can setup the parameters that are standard, but until I'm a little more educated on this, Im just not able to get the pic's that I would like. Thanks for the comments.

Mike
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:50 PM   #4
Administrator

For the C-8080, the "P" mode is the automatic mode. Sounds to me like you have failed to open the flash and are trying to shoot indoor pics without the flash? This is a common mistake and even though it may look OK on the LCD, the camera used a slow shutter speed and the blurring was caused by your own hand shake. You have to use flash for indoor or low-light pictures unless the camera is on a tripod.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:55 PM   #5

You have one of the best high-end prosumer cameras, maybe even THE BEST prosumer (that is not a DSLR), so it's definitely not a camera shortcoming. That is, if this camera can't take a non-blurry pic, others likely won't either. So this is definitely a setting issue.

Looking at Steve's pics of the camera here, it looks like the AUTO mode is the green icon. Have you tried using that to take the pics?

The other question I have is, what sort of environment are you taking the pics in? When you say it is blurry, is that for pics in bright light (eg. indoors with flash, sunny outdoors, etc)? Or are you only talking about low-light situations (eg. night, indoors with little light, etc)?

Furthermore, are you talking about blurry pics in the water or on land? I'm not really familiar but I think taking pics in water requires some skill and you may need some experience before you can take underwater pics.

Also visit an Olympus forum and ask people who actually have the camera...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:40 PM   #6
ecm

The "P" mode is the most automatic. It'll set shutter speed, aperture, but not ISO, unless the ISO is set to "auto". It's not a point & shoot camera, though; it still has "quirks". I've got the C-5060; it's very similar to the C-8080to operate. I get fuzzy results when I:

1. don't use a flash in lower light - you need to release the flash manually on the C-8080.

2. Accidentally set the ISO too low for the light/aperture setting

3. Use full zoom in lower light - theaperturegets smalleras the zoom goes out.

4. Use "slow1" or slow2" flash with a moving subject in low light.

Do you think the camera is broken? I've read a postfrom a C-8080 owner that kept getting fuzzy pics all the time, it turned out the camera was faulty. If you put it down and use the timer, is the pic still fuzzy?

For non-blurry pics, you need to set the speed to 1/(2*focal length); at full wide the shutter needs to be 1/2*28 or about 1/60 s; at full zoom you'll need a speed of 1/2*140 or 1/250-1/320s. to keep the picture sharp. You can set the speed in "S" mode and allow the camera to set the rest - aperture, flash, etc.

I'd encourage you to persist. The C-8080 has about the best image quality available without actually buying a dSLR; but the learning curve is steep, that's for sure.I've seen a few underwater pics from the C-5060 and C-8080; they're almost professional quality.

Good Luck!

ECM
ecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:04 AM   #7

The 5060 takes great pics for sure. So I'm very sure that the 8080 will take excellent pics too.

I hear that the 5060 has some kind of known problem.

My friend has a c-5060 and even he said his camera went haywire when he was in some humid country (on a holiday). He's not one of the people on this link though....

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...qd&unified_p=1

and this...

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=55461

as well as...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1536983,00.asp
http://www.splashdowndivers.com/phot...pment_5060.htm
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:14 AM   #8

First - What a great web site - I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. After further reading and everyone's suggestions, I again called Olympus, and the technician put me and the camera through a few tests - one being with the flash open sitting on a table and using the remote. He also had me change the ISO to auto, and the pictures while inside my living room turned out very clear. But once I used the optic zoom to 5X, the pictures were fuzzy again. I performed the same test outside and with or without the flash, the pictures were clear. Another comment from the Olympus Tech was that I may have bought over my head. He hinted that until I have more time with the cameraand a better basic photo knowledge overall my photo's may suffer. I just didnt realize the base knowledge of photo-101 I needed before I purchased.

As for the type of pictures, as mentioned in my original post, I mainly bought the camera to upgrade from my Canon PowerShot S-50 for underwater (Scuba) type of photography, which I've taken several classes, but not camera specific. So Im now convinced that I need to get hooked up at my local college and find Photo-101. Olympus also stated that a new software load to correct low-light metering focus issues (I guess that's what I'm having) is forthcoming in the next 90 days, and to look at downloading this when available.

So for now - I'll be asking a tons of questions - Thanks ahead of time for your patience.

Mike
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:47 AM   #9

Kenny - Thanks for the web sites - great info

Mike