Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you shoot your photos in RAW, TIFF or JPEG?
I shoot in RAW all the time 4 11.43%
I shoot in RAW except on special occasions 8 22.86%
I shoot in TIFF all the time 0 0%
I shoot in TIFF except on special occations 0 0%
I shoot in JPEG all the time 12 34.29%
I shoot in JPEG except on special occasions 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:20 PM   #11

Although my camera has the capability to shoot in either JPEG, TIFF or RAW, I rarely shoot in TIFF and NEVER shoot in RAW. I could never see any point to RAW.

Itseems likea lot of work just to get back to what the camera produces by itself anyway and, if you have a camera that doesn't produce the best shots without a lot of extra effort on your part then you don't need RAW...you need a new camera!
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:26 PM   #12

My 3 year old D7i doesn't buffer raw, so I use it only in static situations. When I got the camera and saw the advantages of raw I tried to take all of my shots in raw. But I missed too many shots in dynamic situations waiting the 10 seconds for the raw file to write.

With a camera that buffered the raw shots I would shoot only in raw. It has too many advantages to pass up. Unfortunately the next version of the camera had a decent buffer.

I agree that TIFF is an impractical format for a digital camera. It is almost impossible to see the difference with a camera that has a true SHQ JPG and the file size is huge.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:51 PM   #13

RAW, unless I'm doing snapshots or handing the camera to somebody who isn't used to it.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 2:10 PM   #14

With most current prosumer/pro cameras the sensor is outputting 12-bits of data per color channel.

A JPGis a 8-bit a channel file, so using JPG you are throwing out 1/3 of the data your camera is capable of producing (and you paid for:lol. When you let your camera make the raw to jpg conversion you are hoping that it(or rather the engineer who wrote the conversion program)makes a good guess on what was really important in the image you are trying to take. Once converted in-camera it can not be recovered.

Also the new programs like PS CS can now use and work with image files with up to 16-bits per color channel, so there is no real reason to ever down-convert a file except for web display.

Edit:
The really high end cameras backs only output in RAW, as the users only want the highest quality in their output. JPG is a great time-saver for those that happy with mediocrity and are not very interested in getting the most from their equipment.

Edit:
Wow I keep adding to this post: :-)
It is no different than in the old film days, some people were happy with just taking the film into a 1-hour service, others would spend days in the darkroom working on producing the best image they could.

Meryl Arbing wrote:

Quote:
Although my camera has the capability to shoot in either JPEG, TIFF or RAW, I rarely shoot in TIFF and NEVER shoot in RAW. I could never see any point to RAW.
Quote:

[b]It seems like a lot of work just to get back to what the camera produces by itself anyway and, if you have a camera that doesn't produce the best shots without a lot of extra effort on your part then you don't need RAW...you need a new camera!
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:24 PM   #15

RAW is basically for tinkerers. It is like those guys who like to tear apart their car engines hoping to get a couple of extra horsepower. Sure, they might succeed but..in the long run.. what difference does it make?

There are people who are interested in photography and there are those who are interested is sitting in front of a computer screen for hours tweaking tone curves and, you know what...in order for the rest of us to see their work..they end up converting it back to good old 8-bit JPEGs no better than what the camera did originally.

RAW isn't a feature...it is a workaround.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:36 PM   #16

Ah well, to each their own, of coursebelieve whatever makes you happy.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:57 PM   #17

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:

RAW isn't a feature...it is a workaround.
Surely JPG is the workaround?

JPG compresses by discarding image data that you (or it thinks you) cannot see. Very dark and very bright portions of the image. If you need to lighten an image because it's slightly under exposed, you will have difficulty with a JPG because the information is lost.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:57 PM   #18

~I decided to shoot RAW, because of the many advantages it has to offer.~

8)
PhillyPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:22 AM   #19

well, no reason to fight,

you're all entitled to your own opinion...

anyway, i think the advantages of RAW are great, but can be misused...

i don't think they should be used to just 'snap the shot and fix it later', but the extra printing quality, and detail that RAW will allow is worth the extra work IMO!

lol, the WB advantages are pretty good too...sometimes it's just really hard to get proper white balance...

anyway, that's just my opinion you don't have to agree with my (YES YOU DO!!!:evil:....jk jk jk :?:G)

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:41 AM   #20

RAW is great for those with the technology to handle it...
It's hard to believe, but I have a 4 year old PowerBook G3, with Photoshop (gasp) 6. Can't deal wih RAW in my version of PS; and the options for dealing with anything more than 8-bit files are limited. Plus, my computer takes MANY MANY minutes to convert RAW to TIFF (so I can do anything with it in PS) and it's a pain. Plus, since I use online photo printing (like Snapfish... which only accepts JPEG files) I end up compressing to JPEG anyway. Now, I'm sure someone could tell me how to convert the RAW files (or manipulate them as RAW prior to conversion for Photoshop) with the equipment I've got, but I'm not a pro... I think I could improve the images a lot more by learning and practicing and working to perfect my SHOTS rather than the post-processing first. Eh. Oh well.
Resigned to mediocrity,
~kjk
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote