Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2002, 2:18 PM   #1

Default Portable photo storage

For an upcoming trip to Europe, I was planning on taking my Sony F707 and my trusty iBook. But then I was wondering if I really need the iBook. Is there some device that can store a few GBs of images that is small and operates independently of a computer? Ideally, it would just take all the photos off the memory stick, letting me delete and re-use the stick. Any suggestions for this or other comments in general about flying to/travelling in Europe?

Thanks... :P
Mr Click is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2002, 4:39 AM   #2

Since you have to have either a media reading device and or usb interface and hard drive with disk operating system with a visual interface, that's probably a laptop pc.

There might be something in the hard disc based MP3 player market, - but I'm not young enough to know about it! I guess this is a plus point for microdrive cams. Anything special is likely to be more $$'s than a cheap laptop!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2002, 8:20 AM   #3

If you look in the general website above, you will find that steve has reviewed several image storage devices which seem exactly what you need. Also there is a site www.printamax.com whch has several other devices. They can also be obtained in US.Or do a google search for image storage devices. Make sure of couse the device takes memory sticks.
If this is going to be a one-time use you might consider just buying additional memory sticks . Might be cheaper. And of course you can always buy them in Europe!
plschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2002, 9:24 AM   #4

Found the following at www.computergeeks: X-drive VP 2030. You install a laptop hard drive into the system and it will read several media types. Here is the link: http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=VP-2030. I have not had any responses to my post if someone has used one.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2002, 2:16 PM   #5

Thanks! That item from Computer Geeks seems to be exactly what I was looking for. 12GB of battery powered storage that fits in your pocket for $150.00. I'll let you know how it works...
Mr Click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 3:14 AM   #6

Default Giga stoxx

For people in europe is the Giga stoxx from Jobo also a less expensive device.
10gb cap, fits with all memorycards (no adoptor). You only need the additional battery pack for mobility.
appr 279euro/ batt 59euro.
fterhaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 6:39 AM   #7

Please let us know how it works. It would make a nice Christmas present.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote