Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:25 PM   #1

What consumer-level digicams with manual controls are available / recently discontinued models with relatively less dense sensors compared to the latest high-megapixel cameras?

For example, could I get 4 megapixels on a 2/3" sensor, 2 megapixels on a 1/1.8" sensor, 1 megapixel on a 1/2.7" sensor?

Also, I've noticed that some older cameras had 640x480 pixels on a 1/3" sensor. That wasn't much more dense than some of today's dSLR's. I guess image noise processing wasn't as good back then as it is now? (btw I'm looking for something that's clean up to at least ISO 400, and usable up to ISO 800 or 1600). I also want a fairly wide aperture (no more than F/3.2 at full zoom, and preferably at least F/2.0 at wideangle), and I only need up to about a 144mm telephoto and I could probably make do with 108mm or so.

Also, are there ANY cameras that have large enough photosites on the sensor so that if you had decent eyesight and took the sensor out of the camera, you could see each individual pixel?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:40 PM   #2

What you are looking for isnt common, if it even exists...

You want a digicam, not DSLR, with a large sensor and something like 28-135mm f/2.8 lens.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:44 PM   #3

For LENSES like that you would need 2:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=91680&is=USA Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens for $1139

and

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=264304&is=USA Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens for $1139

Thats not counting the camera...
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:46 PM   #4

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
Also, are there ANY cameras that have large enough photosites on the sensor so that if you had decent eyesight and took the sensor out of the camera, you could see each individual pixel?
Why would you want to???
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:45 PM   #5

rob_strain wrote:
Quote:
pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
Why would you want to???
large photosites, so I could use ISO 6400 and it'd be cleaner than the G7's ISO50??

=========

Ok, for another question related to low light in a compact cam...

What cameras (including not currently manufactured ones) are smaller than the Canon G3 (preferably comparable in size or smaller than the A80), and open up to F/2.0 (+/- 1/2 stop)at wideangle , stop down to no more than F/3.2 at telephoto, and have a 35mm equivalent range from somewhere in the mid 30s to around 108 to 144 mm?
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:19 PM   #6
PdS

[align=left]Panasonic DMC-LC1 and Nikon Coolpix 5700.[/align]
PdS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:35 PM   #7
Administrator

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
What cameras (including not currently manufactured ones) are smaller than the Canon G3 (preferably comparable in size or smaller than the A80), and open up to F/2.0 (+/- 1/2 stop)at wideangle , stop down to no more than F/3.2 at telephoto, and have a 35mm equivalent range from somewhere in the mid 30s to around 108 to 144 mm?
You'll need to compare the dimensions to see if they're actually smaller than the G3. Some models to look at (and there are more) would be the Olympus C-2020z, C-3040z, C-4040z, C-5050z; Epson PhotoPC 850z, 3000z, 3100z; Sony S70, S85; Casio QV-3000EX, QV-3500EX; Toshiba PDR-M70.

These don't have lenses that arequite as long as you want (mosthave a 35mm equivalent focal length that's a little over 100mm), but they have brighter than average lenses for compact digicams.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:00 AM   #8

Basically I'm looking for a camera that's smaller than my S1 IS that will fit in my front pants pocket (34W 32L series560 Levi's jeans). My A80 that I had a while ago went in there just fine, and my dad's Minolta S414 would probably go in there but would maybe be a bit of a tight squeeze. My S1 won't fit.

I do still plan on keeping the S1, until it breaks, or when, for the same price that I bought the S1 new (when it first came out), I can get a camera that is the same size or smaller, has a focal length to at least 450 to 500mm or more, opens up to F/2.0 or wider at wide angle (F/1.4 or F/1.0 would be nice if possible) (and stops down to no slower than F/2.8 at telephoto), has at least 4 or 5 megapixels, and has fairly clean images up to ISO 800 with a couple stops above that even if they're a bit noisy.

In the meantime, is there ANY digicam with an F/2.0 lens (that stops down to no more than F/3.2 at a focal length range from 100 to 150mm approx 35mm equivalent), that has fairly clean images at ISO 400 (looking at some of the "indoor portrait no flash" shots on Imaging Resource, there were some somewhat compact cameras that looked pretty good at ISO 400 - as good as or better than my S1 IS at ISO 100 (but the more compact ones I saw that had good noise characteristics had dreadfully slow lenses at telephoto)), and is no larger than 150x72x55mm INCLUDING protrusions (not including when camera is turned on) (probably about the largest I'd be able to fit in my pocket if I have nothing else in there)
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:52 AM   #9

I've been looking a bit at a few sites...

What do you think of the following cams?

Toshiba PDR-M70 - F/2.0 to F/2.5 (where can I try one to see if it will fit in my pocket?)
Ricoh RDC-7 - F/3.4 at max zoom
Minolta X20 - F/3.7 at max zoom
Toshiba PDR-M81 - stops down to F/4.8 at max zoom, but from the pics on imaging resource looks super clean at ISO 400

Is there anything smaller than the Canon G3 that opens up to F/2.0 at wide and stops down to no more than F/3.2 at tele (100 to 150mm approx range is what I'm looking for), and is as clean as the Toshiba PDR-M70 or PDR-M81 at ISO 400?
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:22 PM   #10
blr

As already mentioned Olympus C5050 and its lowerresolution brothershave thefastest zoom I've seen so far. 35-105 mm(equiv) f1.8-2.6. If you can still find one I can recommend the 5050. It has all the features of a SLR. Noise levels however are not very low, although at ISO 400 it is quite good. It is not exactly a pocket camera either. It's larger than Canon A95. I'm not familiar with the designation of your Levi's jeans, but chances are that it won't fit unless you wear 4 sizes bigger ones.

I believe what you ask for is physically impossible. Fast lenses must be physically bigger. Remember, focal length/diameter of front lens element=max aperture. This is for fixed lenses zooms are actually larger than that. Bigger sensors means even longer zooms and thus larger. Another approach to your problem would be to get an image stabilized camera. So far only Panasonic makes IS ultra compacts and they get mixrd reviews for image quality. Let's hope others will follow.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote