Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:59 PM   #1

Textronics developered a solid ink (wax) printer line called PHASER. THe line has since been picked up by Xerox. Anyone have any comments about using one of these as a photo printer ?
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:12 AM   #2

We have a Xerox/Tektronix phaser 860 where I work. It is a poor photo printer--color rendition is just not right. With plain copier paper the resulting photo prints are miserable as one might expect. I've tried glossy and matte photo quality paper with little improvement in photo quality. I use the default color management profile for the printer.

Maybe there is a combination of paper and color management settings that could yield acceptable results?

jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:33 PM   #3

The strength of these printers is "supposed to be" the consistency across various types of media. If if is not good onplain paper then I would expect little improvement on other media. As you say color managment might play a key.

Thanks for your feedback.

Lewis
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:50 AM   #4

We also have a Phaser 860 at work. We print photos from a program called QuarkXpress. Using this program, I am able to tell the printer I want a High Quality Resolution/Photo (1200 dpi). And we've found that using the "Commecercial Press" selection under Color Correction, we get satisfactory results. Alot of times I do take the photo into Photoshop to fix the colors or lighten the photo for printing. I haven't tried printing photos from any other program though.
normant is offline   Reply With Quote