Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:27 AM   #1

i have just purchased the olympus c8080, and i was wondering if the actual photo data can be saved to other programs, besides the camedia software that is supplied with the camera. I think it would be beneficial to have the photo details, shutter, aperture, etc, available for analyzing the differences in the photos.

thanks
kcormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:42 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums. Since your question is not related to "What Camera Should I Buy", I movedthis thread down to the General Q&A Forum

Most modern Digital Cameras store camera settings used in the image headers (in a section known as the EXIF). Many image editing packages can see this information (although some image editorsstrip it out when you edit an image).

One free package that can see this information is Irfanview (downloadable from http://www.irfanview.com ). Make sure to download the free plugins, too.

You'll find this information under Image, Information, EXIF. You'll also see a menu choice there to "Copy to Clipboard". That way, if you want, you can paste the information into something else (using another Applications Edit, Paste menu choice, or CTRL V which does the same thing).

BTW, it's a good idea never to overwrite your original images (always save to a different filename, or work with copies when editing). Then, you'll always have an unmodified version of your image (the original), complete with camera settings contained in the EXIF.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:18 AM   #3

thanks very much, i apologize for not putting it in the correct forum. looking forward to this site. My first impressions, are that it is awesome!!
kcormier is offline   Reply With Quote