Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 11, 2002, 6:16 AM   #21

Well, I want a HD 3D cam to put pics on my HD 3D plasma panel with surround sound! , then I won't think so much about my previous 2D stuff. A bit like going from B&W to colour!

I think it will be the unique difference of new cam products which will bring about any big change in attitude. So until then, we have technology extension strategies aimed at incrementally improving existing products to get us to re-buy.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 5:23 PM   #22

I am flabergasted that anyone would think that camera optics degrade with use. Unless you make a habit of putting intense short UV radiation into your camera lenses, your camera lenses should last FOREVER. Cameras are electro-mechanical devices (even most digital cameras!) and so are suseptible to mechanical/electronic failures. The CCDs and flash memory for these devices are good for millions of cycles, probably many more cycles than the mechanical buttons on the camera are spec'd for! CCD's may degrade over time with "hot" or "dead" pixels, but this shouldn't pose too big of a problem. IMO, the greatest limitation to the life of your digital camera will be technology itself. There will always be the better product in your future.

Laserjock
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 6:31 PM   #23

I wouldn't go that far. I've seen LCD pixels and photocells blip out of existence. It doesn't happen often, but it happens, and it gets more likely with age. Though, as with all electronics, if they make it through the first 72 hours, they'll probably make it to the end of the line several years off.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 6:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikster
in this day and age it may last longer than most marriages, hehehe.
In my cousins case, his digi-cam certainly has.
JTravern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 3:05 PM   #25

Wow, it feels like i am getting into running river with all these responses..
I use an olympus c3000 and LOVE IT!!!
I think the parallel of the digicam to the pc though, is not valid: pcs become obsolete due to outside factors like software and peripherals; you are "forced" to upgrade. But a digicam that takes perfect 8"X10"s now, should allways take them, regardless to what happens with current technology. If you want to buy the latest technology go ahead, but the older should still work great and not crap out; even my old 486 still runs word perfectly, if that is the only app i want to use!!!
By the way, i would not change my leica M6 for an F5 or EOS at any time. If it works, use it...
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 3:52 PM   #26

Of course you're right, but it's only a matter of time until they come out with a CCD with a near infinite range. Take a single shot, the sky and ground will both be exposed properly. This is digital, people...no boundaries.

sev
Old Nov 19, 2002, 7:06 PM   #27

It may be a bit of time for an infinite range since that would imply being able to take a photo without a single photon reaching the detector. But for a reasonable range, it already exists in the form of 16 bit RAW. Post process it twice, once for highlights and once for shadows - then combine. You can bet PhotoShop will do that automagically when those cameras become common.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 8:04 PM   #28

I recently visited Yosemite and I did just that with a number of shots. I'm finding that these shots are much more difficult to process in Photoshop than I had previously imagined. The problem is complex boundaries between the regions I want to vary exposure. For example, I have two shots of a forest, one exposed for the forest and one for the dawn sky. I'm finding it very difficult to go in and select around every single tree limb, though.

Maybe I'll post a question about how to do this...someone must know a tutorial or something.

sev