Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 6, 2002, 3:29 PM   #1

Default How long will a digital camera last !!!

I am in the market for a digital camera and was about to pluck down $800.00 CDN for an Olympus 4000. The sales rep then let it out that the camera through normal use will be ( used up ) in about 5 years of normal use. The device that the image is recieved on starts to go bad through repeated use. Does anyone else know how long one of these cameras are good for??????
wayne
Wayne Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2002, 4:09 PM   #2

I don't know how long a digicam will survive, but with care five years seems reasonable. But remember that digicams are more like PCs than chemical cameras in the sense that within five years there will be newer ones that are much better than the ones on the market now. Better in terms of focus, white balance, noise, pixel count, lag, ....

How many people do you know who are still using a '486 PC with 32 meg of memory and a 300 M hard drive? Almost certianly in five years that is what most current digicams will feel like. Likely most of them will still do the same job they do today, but they will "feel" inadequate.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 4:22 PM   #3

The Fair Market Value on a digital camera that is five years old should be $0. Bill has drawn a great parrallel to the pc market. 5 year old pc's have little or no value on the market. However, I still use some 486 pc for Linux web servers. The camera may work for more than five years and still be functional. It could still take great photos but the technology that makes it work will long surpassed. You can count on the digital vendors to release a new camera every year (maybe even less) but the older cameras are still working. My C3000 is over 2 years old and still functions great. My C4040 is six months old and has already been replaced with the C5050. My questions is not how long the camera will last but how long I will last.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 4:22 PM   #4

I agree. I'm now on my second digital camera. My first was a 1.2 Megapixel Fuji MX-700. After three years, I just bought my second which is a 3.1 Megapixel Fuji S602. More features, such as zoom, faster CCD for capturing action shots, more control of exposure, video features, etc. were factors in my plunking down $600.

So, it's not the camera wearing out or breaking, it's morelikely that your needs and, moreso, your wants that will lead you to another camera.

Regardless, take your time and checkout the ones that meet your needs today and a bit what you can anticipate using down the road. Trust me, for $800, you can get a good camera...just do your homework first. Then enjoy!
WeekendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 5:59 PM   #5

Folks.... Thnxs for the good information. I understand what you are saying but my point of view is this. My Canon A1 is 20 years old and has taken about 4,000 shots. It is working as good today as it did when new. It has not "broke" in all these years. Not once.
Value for the buck in my view is very good.

Don't get me wrong. I am going digital but the cost of Digital is higher that I was led to believe in the sense that I will be spending big bucks every 5 years to stay current. Thnxs again for your good comments.

Wayne
Wayne Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 6:46 PM   #6

You pays your money and you makes your choice!!

David
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 6:54 PM   #7

Wayne

We are not saying the camera will not work for 20 years. We are saying that the technology will improve so much you may want to buy a newer digital camera. You may be so happy with the camera that you pick that you will not need to buy another one.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 8:55 PM   #8

Default How long will a digital camera last!!!

I remember reading a few months ago that the lenses in most digital cameras, excluding the dSLR's, only have so many cycles built into them. I can't remember exact numbers, but 2000 or 3000 sticks in my mind. I remember thinking that I might go through my camera alarmingly soon at the rate I shoot! These are the point and shoot cameras, and they aren't designed to last more than a few years unfortunately. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts, since my daughter is salivating on the back of my neck to get a new one and give it to her. So it will be in the family for a long while.
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 11:29 PM   #9

My C3000 has shot more 6000 photos. That only includes the ones that I kept and edited. I am not sure how many I deleted before I even downloaded. Olympus uses glass optics where some camera makers do not.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 11:57 PM   #10

I don't see any relation of prosumer camera lenses with the life of the camera. I think the glass used in manufacturing lenses is a non-perishable item and would not decay with every picture taken.
However, Plastic lenses might lose their brightness after prolonged time.

I have seen my nephew shooting pics over the weekend with my brother's Sony 505 camera, and wouldn't stop till he runs out of the 64MB of media, and at the normal resolution he would shoot about 800-1000 pics and he is doing this since last 1.5 years.

Also add to it the pictures that my brother shoots and i guess they might have shot more than 10000 (good or bad) pics by now, and the camera is still going strong

ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote