Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:44 AM   #1

I have a DX 4330 that needs repair work. The CS rep at kodak offered me a refurb DX 7440 in lieu of repair (he said it could cost me around $100 as the camera will not read the memory card any more. The card works fine in other cameras.)

Cost for trade-up will be $231, and they offer the same camera at their site for $249 with free shipping.

Opinions?

Thanks!

kimberwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:06 PM   #2
Administrator

Have you tried a different card in your camera, or have you tried formatting your card with another camera (viaa Format menu choice) to see if it will work in yours?

It's more likely to be a card problem versus a camera problem.

In any event, that doesn't sound like avery good "trade up" deal to me. Even a reputable "brick and mortar" dealer like B&H Photo and Video has the DX7440 (in brand new versus refurbishedcondition) for only $259.95 delivered:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Kodak_...X7440~S-P~OR-0

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:15 PM   #3

Card works fine and formats in my computer and in other cameras. It can be read by other cameras too.

As far as the "deal," I was thinking the same....
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Administrator

kimberwing wrote:
Quote:
Card works fine and formats in my computer and in other cameras. It can be read by other cameras too.
Did you format the card using aFAT File System Type with your PC? If not, your camera may not like it. I've also seen users report that once a card has been formatted as FAT32, their cameras refused to recognize it, even after reformatting as FAT (although in most cases, reformatting as FAT fixes the issue).

I'd also make sure to try inserting and removing the card a few times, just in case it's not something as simple as the contacts being a little oxidized in the camera.

Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:25 PM   #5

I've formatted the darn thing every which way LOL! Think I can use an alcohol solution to clean the contacts? Works wonder on my sons N-64....
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:28 PM   #6

It's been formatted as FAT per Ron Baird from Kodak....
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:50 PM   #7
Administrator

kimberwing wrote:
Quote:
I've formatted the darn thing every which way LOL! Think I can use an alcohol solution to clean the contacts? Works wonder on my sons N-64....
Off the shelf Isopropyl Alcohol usually has a very high water content (unless you have some that's actually 99.x % pure) and may do more harm than good.

You'd be better off going down to your local Radio Shack and getting some contact cleaner designed for this purpose. Getting to the contacts would be the biggest issue, but some of the cleaners are designed to be safe on plastics and come with a straw type spray attachment. You'd need to be very careful not to let the solution get to the CCD or lens.

I'd be inclined to think that if inserting and removing the card a few times didn't work, then it's probably not the contacts though.

I would make sure that I trieddifferent batteries (sometimes weak batteries can be a problem). I'd also make sure to try a different Secure Digital Card in it. Even though it may work in other devices, your camera may be more "finnicky" than others if the card is pulling too much current, etc.