Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 6, 2002, 10:14 PM   #1

Default Which cameras produce very saturated pictures?

I like saturated pics...
dorae006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2002, 12:25 AM   #2

Default Re: Which cameras produce very saturated pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorae006
I like saturated pics...
me too, I think you gonna like Nikon camera type of pictures, may be Sony too?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 6:34 AM   #3

I think this has more to do with the quality and resolution of the CCD and your shooting style than anything else. To shoot fully saturated pics, get a camera with the histogram feature. Expose your shots so that the main subject's brightness bell curve is centered right around the middle of the histogram spectrum, or a tad under half.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 1:08 PM   #4

Default Which cameras produce very saturated pictures?

Dora, the Kodak cameras definitely produce very saturated pics, esp. in the blues and greens. A friend just got a 2 mp Kodak and her pics right out of the camera were far more saturated than my Oly D510 images. This would be significant if you don't want to do any image editing. Her pictures were shot indoors in a gym at a volleyball game with natural lighting (day game) and they were still outstanding. In all fairness, my Oly's colors are actually more accurate, exactly what the eye sees. The Kodak's colors are richer than what really exists. It's all a matter of preference.
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 6:38 PM   #5

thanks to all who replied..
I tried an Oly D40 before, the pic colors were def very "real life"

my Nikon 4500 pics don't appear to be so saturated though, which nikon cameras produce saturated pics?
dorae006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 8:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorae006
my Nikon 4500 pics don't appear to be so saturated though, which nikon cameras produce saturated pics?
I notice that my CP950 ( 2 MPix) pics is more saturated than my D7i's ones.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 10:12 PM   #7

A lot of cameras of 4 MP or more, and some of 3 MP or less, allow you to select how much saturation you want. Quite a few more allow you to increase the saturation in post processing with the software they provide, or you can use your own photo editing software.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2002, 6:25 AM   #8

I'm wondering if choosing a digicam based on its level of saturation is really a good idea. After all, what we're saying is we have a personal preference for the cams internal processing. But those who don't like it have to undo it in photo editors. But it's good for brand differentiation!

I suspect my cam of slight under exposure in full auto mode, so it doesn't always output highly saturated vivid images. However, it doesn't clip whites, colour or produce noticeable noise and retains detail, only needing a slight touch of auto brightness/contrast to suit taste.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 10:45 PM   #9

I should have brought this up the first time I posted, but I just thought of it. For a few weeks I was doing research on infrared photography, and I discovered, that a lot of CCDs are infrared and UV sensitive. So, one of the things you'll find is that with a UV filter, the CCDs that are the least IR sensitive are going to give the truest saturations. But, you trade off doing any IR photography in the future.

My advice is that, if you're really worried about IR, get an IR cut filter like the Heliopan 8125, a UV, and a polarizing filter with the Cokin filter system. This way, you can get a camera that is IR sensitive if you decide to do that kind of photography, but you can get true colors when you are shooting in the visible spectrum with the UV/polarizer and IR cut filter.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote