Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:06 AM   #1

What do you do with your pic's after you take them. I tend to want to print everything. Problem with that is, it add's up $$ fast. That, and I'll run out of wall space. I guess I'll have to get me some album's to put them in or something. I just can't resist printing them at 8x10 though just because I can ,and they turn out great. So, what do you guy's do. Cal
Quick Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:37 AM   #2

About 95% of the pictures I take simply get transferred from the CF card to the computer, and then once enough of them are in there, to a CD. I rarely ever print, simply because I have very limited need for a hard copy of my pictures. If it's something I'm going to give to others, chances are I'll print at least the ones I liked best, and then also give them a CD with all the rest of the photos on it. From there they can decide what to do with it.

A photo album for it all would be cool, but that's just one more thing I have too little available space and funds to start on...
Tim_The_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:41 AM   #3

Quick Cal wrote:
Quote:
What do you do with your pic's after you take them. I tend to want to print everything. Problem with that is, it add's up $$ fast. That, and I'll run out of wall space. I guess I'll have to get me some album's to put them in or something. I just can't resist printing them at 8x10 though just because I can ,and they turn out great. So, what do you guy's do. Cal
Transfer to a hard drive & then I edit & resize for large prints (normally 8X10's), using Genuine Fractals (mainly because after saving to this format, almost any image can be increased or reduced in resolution without problems) web sized (600 x whatever) & make thumbnails. Out of one shoot, I normally only print the very best shots because I don't want to spend all my time working at framing & masking prints.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:52 AM   #4

[align=center]I save them from my CF card to my hard drive where they stay their collecting dust until my hard drive crashes and I loose all of them![/align]
TunafishJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:25 AM   #5

The good ones I post on Photo.net and have them rated by other phographers.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:44 AM   #6

As also stated above, I transfer to a CD. In most cases, I use RAW though I am not convinced that is the best way of doing it. Just following what I had read somewhere here in the forum. Using Photoshop 7.0 I make contact sheets and insert them in the CD jewel cases. I find it fun using PS to make custum photos of friends and relatives to use in greeting cards. It is now rare that I buy a card unless it is for a "serious" event. Birthdays . . . you can make some very comical cards!
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:08 AM   #7

Save them to my hard dive, edit in Photoshop if needed, then pick which ones I want prints made of and upload them to an online processing service and then wait for my prints. The rest just sit and wait on the hard drive, but I'm going to make an effort this year to organize and clean up the hard drive and print out contact sheets of all the photos I have.
Macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:49 PM   #8

:| -> CF -> HD -> Filtering process -> Back up to CD's -> Upload to lab's server -> Deliver prints to customers :G After a few shoots I further back up onto dvd's to free up the HD. Got 18 dvd's full of photos, and I still have nearly 90GB of photos to back up, all from last year alone. Since there's no fool proof way to archive digital photos, imo the best bet is to make multiple backups that remain in multiple locations for safe keeping.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:19 PM   #9

Well there's lot's of good idea's out there. I wish I would have had my pic's backed up last week. I got a virus and lost them all.

When you put them on a cd, can you add more later, or do you have to use a different cd.
Quick Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:12 AM   #10

Quick Cal wrote:
Quote:
Well there's lot's of good idea's out there. I wish I would have had my pic's backed up last week. I got a virus and lost them all.

When you put them on a cd, can you add more later, or do you have to use a different cd.
You can always keep on adding photos (or files) into a CD so long as there is still enough space in it.

...ben is offline   Reply With Quote