Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:58 PM   #11

wrxer12 wrote:
Quote:
I know this sounds kinda bad, but does anyone see where I'm coming from?
Yes, you come from a very poor set of parents who did not teach their child the difference between honesty and dishonesty. Next question ??
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:35 AM   #12

I agree with Paul(UK) it's better to have a camera than not too. I does suck that your camera isn't working but if you can have it repaired then you should just do the smart and honest thing and get it repaired. Also atlanta greg it's a little personal to blame it on his parents. But that's my opinion.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:59 AM   #13

Why not just settle for not destroying it, allow it to be fixed, sell it and then save your pennies until you can afford a better camera? That would seem to be the more honest way of going about it., and I'm sure it won't kill you, plus it'd be better for you as a person, give you a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you didn't try to screw anybody...

As to Best Buy forcing you to buy a service contract, what ever happened to simply saying "no thanks"? Does the best buy store at your location make it their policy to put a weapon to your head and tell you "I strongly suggest you get the service contract"? If you don't like the service there, shop someplace else. Especially if they're somehow forcing you into the contract.I happen to have a copy of it here and I quote "This plan does not cover repairs caused by accidental or intentional physical damage, condensation, spilled liquids, insect infestation, misuse, abuse, altered or missing serial numbers, or damage caused by non-authorized repair personnel."

That would seem to cover virtually everything you could do to it to make it not work anyway, since I doubt you're going to be able to go in there and fake burning out something that normally might burn out... I suspect unless you're a pro at fraud you're going to merely end up with a broken camera and no free repairs...
Tim_The_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:56 AM   #14

Lower set of standards than the normal human being? Poor set of parents? That is a tad too harsh! Let he without sin cast the first stone!

I agree that under normal conditions of warrantythat is not the right thing to do. But if you are talking about those service plans that Bestbuy representatives try to force upon customers, that is a different story, and i completely see where you are coming from.

At best buy the sales rep try to cram the service plan up your throat, it's close to harassment. You always end up paying 10-20% more than planned, and they say anything to convince you that it's worth paying the extra.When I bought my computer speakers and was getting the service plan forced on me, I told them I doubt computer speakers would break down within a couple years, then they suggested ways to total them later so that I can replace with a newer model later! It's how they make their profit and how they play the game- of course if you purposely damage your camera in a manner that is detectable then you lose the game i.e. you will not get the replacement.
QDravrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:04 AM   #15

Read your warantee, especially if you purchased the extended one. At least one thing mentioned here, leaving some water in it, will void the extended best buy warantee which doesn't cover water damage. Found out this the hard way when a coworker could not get his computer repaired after 2 weeks of them looking at it. They claimed water damage, hastily threw it back together (breaking pieces, unseating parts) and returned it when my company didn't want to pay $1100 to fix it. We have no way of knowing if there really was water damaged, or if they just didn't want to replace it as they should. Hope you fare better.
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:42 AM   #16

There's all sorts in this world ... there are the good folks....and then there are the vermin.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:41 AM   #17

I would get it repaired, sell it and buy the one you want. Dont do the wrong thing by destoying the camera, plenty of people out there would like a camera like this.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:28 AM   #18

Fraud is fraud. I hate to subsidize those committing it for their own personal gain. Why don't those that feel it is okay just write the poster a check and leave those of us not interested doing so out of it. If he doesn't pay for the newer model camera, we do.
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:42 AM   #19

BrierS wrote:
Quote:
Fraud is fraud. I hate to subsidize those committing it for their own personal gain. Why don't those that feel it is okay just write the poster a check and leave those of us not interested doing so out of it. If he doesn't pay for the newer model camera, we do.
This just goes to show that some folks don't have any problem with moral issues. The interesting thing is that some folks may not even realise their lack of moral values. But if those folks actually do realise their lack of moral values, then it's quite amazing that they have the audacity to ask for help on the internet on advice for carrying out a lowlife underhanded act.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:54 AM   #20

Disregarding all moral issues, even if you do get a replacement, won't they just replace it with the same model again?
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote