Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:31 AM   #1

I have an A70 that has a few problems with it, including a shutter cover that won't shut, defective a/v outputs and a screen that never seals no matter how many times it gets cleaned.

Talking to a rep at Future Shop (Best Buy) this will just get repaired and isn't enough to get a replacement. I really want to get the SD200 as areplacement and can upgrade for only $30. What can I doto make sure the camera cannot be repaired so I can get the new one?

wrxer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:34 AM   #2

That sounds at best immoral, and at worst illegal, depending on local laws... I have no advice on how to achieve this, in other words... I'm sorry.
Tim_The_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:35 AM   #3

You need to accept the fact that you have a lower standard of morals than the normal human being & then get help.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:21 AM   #4

I know this sounds kinda bad, but does anyone see where I'm coming from?
wrxer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:39 PM   #5

I see from the photos on this site that the A70 has a DC in.

If your power supply went "faulty" and outputted a higher voltage, that would damage your camera. Possibly beyond economical repair.

What ever happens it's a gamble. I'm not a gambling man. Just my luck I'd end up with a faulty A70 and no replacement.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:18 PM   #6

wrxer12 wrote:
Quote:
I guess I can. I won't make any moral judgments but you have to be careful what you do. If you tinker with the camera making it inoperable and send it in you might end up without a repaired A70 and without an upgraded SD200. Most technicians will know the difference between defects in manufacturing and user induced damage...tread carefully.

The A70's not a bad camera. Get the thing repaired and use it.

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:45 PM   #7
sdh

wrxer12 wrote:
Quote:
I swear I thought I went to a car forum by mistake when I read the subject. WRXer, I know exactly you're coming from. If my spotless rex got banged up Id be happy to have it totalled too. You could try "accidently" dropping the camera ona concrete floor a couple times. Or maybe going at it with a baseball bat or golf club (might wanna use some eye protection.) :G
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:47 PM   #8

Are you trying to use the warranty included with the camera or did you purchase an extended warranty from the dealer?

I purchased a G3 from Best Buy in May of '03 with the 4 year extended warranty. It began having some problems so I took it to Best Buy in Nov '04 and they replaced it with a new G6 since the G3's are no longer made.

Purposely breaking your camera seems a bit shady to me. But if that is the kind of person you are, then I guess more power to you.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:51 PM   #9

When I first read your question, I thought "this must be a joke." Guess not.:shock:
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:06 PM   #10

i think the company would frown if they saw this thread...

now, i am not telling you to do this, or even suggesting it, but if you want your camera to work and be repairable, what ever you do, dont drop it in salt water and leave it for several minutes then take it out and put it in the oven to dry it, and forget that your camera was in there.......that would be bad because if the oven didnt do it, the corrosion from the salt would kill it, and if this does by chance happen, make sure you clean your camera, because there is nothing worse than salt water sitting in a camera for a few days.....

signed,
anonymous
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote