Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2002, 4:42 PM   #11

I agree - it's all about understanding the limitations, If you want small pic files there's a price to pay, but with good housekeeping on your pc - (fewer saves of compressed files), you can still get good results.

Curiously we don't always realise the not so obvious, that when a jpeg cam file is imported into a photo-editor, it actually becomes expanded to 18X or so its size in memory- i.e back to its uncompressed level, as well as a second unaltered expanded file copy held in memory. Which is why so many people get the sums wrong when they're thinking about printing large pics, memory requirements and cpu speed for their pc's! ALL printout is at the expanded file level.

When you hit that 'render image' or effects button in any photo editor several times, you're creating sometimes huge processing demands on the equivalent of a 20-50 MB file for high end cams. I would imagine it's also important what order you do things in the photo editor. I suspect, that if you look at the order most software does batch mode corrections, there are some clues to what's best.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 9:06 PM   #12
BRJ

OK...I'm going to retract my WOW! ...but I'm still going to enjoy reading all the responses, which I did. All were very good. I think everyone responded with a good interpretation of .jpg's and the re-saving factor. Enjoyed reading them all and even learned a little bit.

__________________________________________________ ___

BillyBob in Texas
BRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 6:13 PM   #13

I want to point out that although you do lose quality everytime a jpg is saved, most photo editors keep the image in uncompressed mode through the editing session. So if you edit a picture, then save it as a jpg, then tweak it a bit more, save it as a jpg, then edit it a final time and save it as a jpg without ending the session (i.e. closing the file), you will not lose any more quality than if you had saved it once because the program keeps rewriting the file with a new jpg made from the uncompressed image.
MikeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 11:02 AM   #14

MikeV.... That's why I posted this earlier:

Here's the solution I'm waiting for from the software writers, and we have a few contributing to this Forum!

All photoeditors track changes in the undo list. If that list could be exported as an edit decision list (edl) along with your edited pic, then when you wanted to re-tweak an edited pic, you pulled in the cam original file, run the script and further process from there with only one compression iteration for the edited output

Voxmagna
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote