Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:19 AM   #1

That can't be true. I'm was still hesitating between the Powershot Pro1 and the Digital Rebel EOS, whenIrealized that all the cameras listed in the "8mpixels prosumers" have a 4:3 ratio. WHY??? Am I the only one that this "little" detail bother? Why do they choosed this ratio for a device that should replace a standard camera??
grouminou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:49 PM   #2

The main reason to my understanding is almost all people set their computers touse a 4:3 display ratio (I keep mine at 1600x1200).....and since most digital photographs only end up being displayed on computers, emailed, etc it makes alot of sence when you you display it full screen to be able to see more of the picture than a 3:2 ratio would allow.

Personally I like the 4:3 ratio not only for the reason I stated above but also for printing as I almost always print or have prints done at 8"x10" or 11"x14". These sizes mean im not cropping as much of the picture off the print with a 4:3 ratio compared to a 3:2 ratio sensor. I also bought a DSLR with a 4:3 ratio sensor for these reason as well.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:01 PM   #3

Was that the Olympus E-1 or E-Volt 300?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:40 PM   #4

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
Was that the Olympus E-1 or E-Volt 300?

E-1 and im loving it thus far!:-)
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:48 PM   #5
Administrator

grouminou wrote:
Quote:
I'm was still hesitating between the Powershot Pro1 and the Digital Rebel EOS, whenIrealized that all the cameras listed in the "8mpixels prosumers" have a 4:3 ratio.
All of the 8MP prosumers,exceptthe Powershot Pro1, will let you shoot in a 3:2 Aspect Ratio Mode (this mode doesn't use the entire CCD). The Konica-Minolta A2, Sony DSC-F828, Nikon Coolpix 8800, and Olympus C-8080WZ all have an available 3:2 Mode (that lets you shoot at 3264 x 2176 versus 3264 x 2448 if desired).

Quote:
WHY??? Am I the only one that this "little" detail bother? Why do they choosed this ratio for a device that should replace a standard camera??
Well, it depends on what you call a "standard camera". 35mm Film has a 3:2 Aspect Ratio (but many other film types don't).

As tkmckayalready mentioned, a 4:3 Aspect Ratio is better for most popular, larger print sizes anyway. More cropping is needed for 5x7", 8x10", etc. if you use a 3:2 Aspect Ratio. The only "standard"print size that works well with a 3:2 Aspect Ratio is 4x6". Here is a chart that shows frame utilitization for popular Aspect Ratios and Print Sizes:

http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleed....htm#frameutil

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote