Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:16 AM   #1

Hey guys,

I would love how to do night photography properly with my digital if it's possible. I have read it's best to use the smallest apprature when shooting landscapes to get sharpness but I can't seem to get any decent night shots. I get tons of artifacts and speckles. I usually try to shoot with ISO100 and even with the apprature opened all the way up I still get speckles. I've seem some breathtaking night shots on here and was wondering how you guys did it?

I shoot an EOS D30 with a Tokina AT-X 242 24-200mm lense. The D30 is supposed to be wonderfull at noise reduction (special built in software) but whether it's in JPG large or RAW I can't get any good results unless there's a full moon. Even then the shots are less than desireable. Are you guys using photohop to fix this problem or is there a secret I don't know about?

Thanks in advance!

Gavin
toothlesrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 2:46 AM   #2
Administrator

Gavin:

How long are your exposures, and what are you photographing?

Doyou see random noise everywhere (multi-colored speckles), or are you seeing hot pixels (much brighter than the rest -- sort of like stars)?

If the latter, make sure you've got noise reduction turned on in the camera (under the custom functions menu). This should perform "dark frame subtraction" noise reduction and mapout the hot pixels in the final image (up to a point, provided exposures aren't too long).

For random noise (versus hot pixels), try one of the popular noise reduction tools:

Neat Image

Noise Ninja

Noiseware

Note that Noiseware also has a free "Community Edition" that works pretty well. Look for it mentioned under the download links to the commercial products.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 7:11 AM   #3

Being relitively new to digital - which do you like more - any big difference in them?

Neat Image

Noise Ninja

Noiseware
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:34 AM   #4

I do see randon noise everywhere, and I do have noise reduction turned on. The longest exposure I've taken is 3 minutes and it was almost unrecognizable. I've heard of people making hour long exposures.Is this only whith film? I'm kind of dissapointed as this is the reason I bought my remote. Oh well.

Gavin
toothlesrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:47 AM   #5

Take a look at Max Lyons' "stacker" for synthetic long exposure: http://www.tawbaware.com/imgstack.htm
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote