Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2005, 7:48 AM   #1

Does anyone have any suggestions on a reasonably priced monitor for viewing photos. Since I seem to spend about a quarter of my computer viewing time working with and viewing the digital photos, I want to purchase a new monitor. I usually purchase them separately since I rarely thought the packaged ones were what I wanted. I use IBM compatibles and am about to upgrade to one from VisualVille. They have their suggestions yet I would like to get a second (third, fourth, etc.) opinion.

Thanks

Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:37 AM   #2

I just use relatively inexpensive samsung monitors...you know..the big heavy ones with the cathod ray tube and glass screen. I only like CRT monitors for looking at pictures. The flat screen LCD stuff just don't seem to cut it.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:02 AM   #3

CRT unless you want to pay high price for a LCD, as the cheaper versions don't display well enough. Also you might consider the rest of your system. That is, if you're going to be printing at home, then you'll want one that a) can be calibrated so that what you see on the screen matches your output of the printer. Generally a Spyder (calibration using a hardware device (as opposed to software only calibration) is used.) Having said that, I get by with a run-of-the-mill 19" monitor that hasn't been calibrated (except with cheapo software) and it does ok for my needs (non-professional). Also consider that the better monitors generally will hold their settings better (brightness changes over time on any monitor). I do like LCD monitors though as they're easier on your eyes, and some of the better ones can be calibrated using hardware. Sorry I don't have brand names.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:16 AM   #4

Charlie46227 is right. A good CRT is better than any LCD except a great one. And the great ones cost a lot.

But it's also a question of your standards. I get the feelings that your standards are fairly high, but I could be wrong.

I would suggest a monitor from LaCie. They are very, very good and their 19" is really reasonably priced. Shockingly so, actually. At the same time, their 21" is really shockingly expensive. Very good, but expensive.

Charlie46227 is also right, you should get a profile for your monitor. I don't recommend the Spyder, but many people have good luck with them. Again, I have high standards and some tests have found they don't work as well on older monitors and have gaps in the profile they produce. I didn't want to risk it (my monitor is 8 years old.)

I got the Monaco OPTIX XR Pro and I am happy with the results. But just getting a profile isn't enough. You should read about how to use the profile once made. Where to set what (between the monitor, PhotoShop, the printer driver) is not easy. It's very easy to do it wrong somewhere.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:52 AM   #5

Thanks. I just read about the LaCie 19" blue IV CRT and it appears to be what will fit my needs. You are correct about their LCD ($) at the upper end. Specs are great but the price is up there. Actually, their prices make the ViewSonic and Sony questionable buys if it is fair to compare advertised specs. The LaCie has the edge. Thanks again for the lead. Reminds me of when I first discovered Adcom audio components . . .

Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote