Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:22 PM   #11

minutephotos.com
I could have sworn that you'd posted here. Either way, from the way you talk about it you take it seriously and care about the "right" things. Not what lens is the best, but what is right for the job. That kinda stuff.

I don't know... I've been here long enough to detect when someone knows about taking pictures and not just photography. I think you know about both.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:27 AM   #12

Thankyou eric s, I am kind of a geek that way. I am a computer systems engineer from 9-5 and pick up photography from build comercial web sites. I take photography as serious as my 9-5 and it is just as technical. There is so much to learn that I didn't even want to put my work out there until I knew what I was doing and wasn't putting out garbage. It has been a long road going from my sony f707 to finally getting an SLR to finally taking it off automatic and realizing I didn't know what the heck I was doing. Now I force my self to shoot manual, RAW and learn to use a light meter and histogram. Then you start to see things different and understand the limits of your equipment. It all becomes apparent in time if you keep studying.

IN any case I thought you gave some tack sharp information about selling photos. You have to understand the basics the pros live by to sell your work consistently.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:46 PM   #13

Switching to manual is a tough leap. I can't really do it for what I do (wild animal photography is an environment which changes way to often. I have a hard enough time finding the subject and focusing with good composition before they disappear. Juggling aperture & shutter would be too much.) But I bet I'd learn a lot by doing that.

My latest thing is to do manual exposure aperture bracketing to try to learn when the 20D's metering system gets it right. I hate it when I think my camera will do the right thing and it doesn't. I want to blame the camera (it made the mistake) but I know that I did too by not knowing that it would do it wrong.

I'm a software designer and coder for large parallel computational engines... so I can appreciate applying the logical aspects of work to photgraphy. For better (or worse) I do it too.

I expect to sell my work some time in the future (maybe this year some time) so I've been paying a lot of attention to all that. Trying to learn as much as I can.

Eric
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:00 PM   #14

Right on Eric. good luck I am sure you will do well you have the head for it. You are correct though it is our fault for not knowing our camera's personality, when it will have the tendancy to do the wrong thing. I have found the digital rebel has a hard time metering for flash. If you subject is in from of a white wall the pictures will almost always come out too dark. I learned to use FEL to point directly at the subject or other darker spot nearby this will force camera to meter on dark subject not bright wall, etc....

I tried doing portrait work but it became too demanding and required too much marketing. This year I am going to try selling prints.

Nice meeting you and good luck

PS

I am considdering picking up the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX instead of the Canon 70-200 F4L, do you have an recommendation? I have always only baught Canon asserories but can't afford Canon 2.8.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:15 PM   #15

That lens choice is a very, very hard one. Its been the topic of conversation in the canon area lately.

I'm not sure which I'd choose myself. They are both good lenses. I dislike the rechipping hassle of the sigma, but enough to spend the extra money to prevent it? F2.8 is a great thing, getting full use of the high precision cross-type sensor on my camera would be killer. I'm not sure that matters as much for what you do.

I would look into renting the sigma and seeing how good it is. I hear its optical quality is high and if its good enough... why argue with it?

Eric
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:37 PM   #16

What do you mean by the rechipping hassle of the Sigma. I think the renting idea is a godd one, I don't know if I can find anyone that rents the Sigma but Ritz Camera has a 30day no questions asked return policy. I know I can rent the Canon f2.8 or 2.8 IS but they don't rent the F4L. By the way have your heard anything about the F4L being discontinued. Ritz and Wolf camera stores are saying they can't get it anymore.

I think I am leaning towards the Sigma F2.8 is starting to apeal to me. I don't have a specific need for this yet, but I am sure as my business grows I will. Why purchase twice, I already made this mistake buying the 55-200 F4 -5.6 I 've learned to stay away from variable aperture lenses andcheap lenses just because I wanted it.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:03 AM   #17

Canon doesn't license their EOS lens mount (unlike Nikon, which does license its mount.) This means that Sigma and others have had to reverse engineering the mount and forward compatability is not guarrentied. The result of this is that every now and then (lately more now than then) your sigma lenses will stop working on the latest Canon body. It will work fine on the older one, but not the newer one. This is because Canon changed something in the mount (not just adding the "digital lens" type mount either, the 1D MkII had this problem) and the sigma lens no longer worked.

Sigma offers to "Rechip" the lens which basically changes something in one of the chips in the lens so it works with the newer camera body. They do it for free for awhile (a year or so) after the camera is released. I don't know if you have to pay for shipping.

I'd be surprised if you could rent the sigma... I've never seen one for rent. But its an idea. I haven't neard the f4 version is going away. Its still listed on the web page. Check www.dpreview.com, they are great on those types of rumors.

Unless you are hard up on cash, its always better to just dive in and get the good lens. They last you many, many years so amortized over the life of the lens it isn't bad.

Eric
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:12 AM   #18

Thanks Ericw. I understand what you are saying and don't take offense. I have taken over 1000 pictures in the first 2 weeks of owning the camera so I'm trying and very much enjoying my camera I do need to read up on some pointers and get a better understanding of subject matter and things. Thanks guys.
algea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:01 AM   #19

I do Portraits and it ain't always easy. I used to use A Hasselblad but now I use My Nikon D100.This picture I'm presenting here is a color photo made black & white in photoshop. Equipment used:

D100, 24/120VR lens "VR turned off, three travelight 750 monolights, and a photogenik graybackdrop. Camera on manual mode and lighting set at 125/F8.

Dark complection, Black suit, and a white shirt with a white tie. It was what His school up in New York wanted for His Career portfolieo photograph and I was His third photographer to try and I nailed it perfect.

Experience in doing is what will teach You the most. Just start practicing until it becomes second nature.

One thing about the digital picture camera is You know what You have when taking the picture. I never knew what I had when I was using film until a week later.

Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:53 AM   #20

Good Morning eveyone...

Nice Photo very sharp looking and well lit (you nailed it)

I love to see photos in these forums. Algea, I am also getting to the point to were I can sell not only my service, but also my photos and it is HARD work. I have been doing this now for over two years and just now starting to be known in my commumunity.

Here are a couple of samples

This was done on my Headshot promotoion were I charged $25.00 for 1 airbrushed 8x10 headshot in Studio atmosphere. We also provided a make-up artist and hair stylist.

Photo number 1

Attached Images