Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:00 AM   #21

I am trying to show a variety here please feel free to comment. This was shot with 55-200 from about30 feet away with one AB800 Studio strobe sitting right next to podeum.

I was using a FM wireless trigger from camera to strobe, this technique as you can see works great. These triggers are only $49.00 baught on ebay from Joesauction2000

Photo Number 2
Attached Images

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:03 AM   #22

This is one I plan to print big and put on my office wall. I don't know if it would sell or not as I was just messing around on my lunch break when I took this.

This was shot with 18-55 kit lens on Drebel and enhanced in Photoshop CS (Levels only)

PacBell Park San Francisco, Ca

Photo Number 3

Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:05 AM   #23

And I guess I have to through in at least one group shot. These are my photo helpers / models.

I put on a fashion show every now and then of my top models. This photo was probably my worst using strobes but I didn't have my light meter and lights were too hot and too low. Was really my first time shooting a group shot like this and I learned it is better to shoot group shots from a ladder having lights and perspective from the top down.

This will stop the person in front from casting shadows on the person next to or behind them. Then I want have such hard contrasts between dark spots and harsh light.

Diamonds in the Rough

Photo Number 4

Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:08 AM   #24

Last one

recently taken at the worst 49er game I ahve ever been to.

Outdoors shot with 55-200 F4 -5.6, this is why I want to upgrade to Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX. The 55-200 has variable aperture so even though I was out side in good light zoomed at 200mm I didn't have much shutter speed to play with. Faster lens is required for this kind or work.

Anyway, since I have put on this little gallery today Please give me ANY feed back you have.

I have thich skin so don't be afraid to be critical I have never put this many photos out at one time so I am curious to see what people think.

Am I ready to start selling yet?

Photo Number 5

Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:25 AM   #25

Sorry I had to throw in one more

This was shot over Christmas with my new Canon 580ex flash bounced off the ceiling. I used the 18-55 stopped down to about an f5.6 or f8

Great for stopping Red-eye in children

I have number each of the photos for critique purposes. Please post you own samples so I can see some of your work also.

Photo Number 6

Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:27 PM   #26

Whow, what did I do? Are my photos that badI scare everyone away?

No comments in 2 days?
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:54 PM   #27

Well minute,

I want to comment on #4. A group of fine ladies. How many lights did you use. What I see is a bit of over exposure. Well you did say you had no meter. So how did you get that close to good exposure? I could be wrong but I see no diffusing because everyones skintone has hotspots. The composition is great. And to be honest, I think the bit of shadow still adds a bit of intrigue in the photo just from their poses. The spacing is good to not put much emphasis on the shadows.

The main problem I see with the photo is it needs more contrast, probably with better exposure. Im learning to get better just like you. Just commenting on #4.
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:58 PM   #28

Here are a few. I don't normally do this type of photography so my comments are more from a viewer than a photographer.

Something in photo 2 bugs me. You did a good job minimizing the glare off his head (nicely done) but the jacket seems like it should be darker. Maybe it isn't but its catching so much of the flash that it seems wrong... lighter to me.

By the looks of the building on the left the picture is properly level. But something is weird. I look at that picture and my brain screams that it isn't level. I do love that rich blue sky at the top, though. Great color.

Here is a start... I gotta get to bed.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:12 AM   #29

Beautiful photos guys!!! I hope I can get to your level someday. I'll just have to keep practicing. I'm finding it frustrating to try to find good subjects and opportunities to shoot pictures. Any advice?
algea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:26 AM   #30

What type of subjects are you looking for? People? Places? Macro?

There are some good people here who shoot portraits and models. If that is what you are looking for you could look in the "people's photos" section and ask there. They might be able to give you some ideas.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote