Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:37 PM   #1

I don't have a card (stick) reader and wasn't planning on getting one becausemySony V1 has a USB 2.0 interface and I don't ever see the urgency to use my camera at the same time I'm transferring files to my PC.

However, the guy at the camera counter tried to convince meto buya card readeronthe basis that'if my camera's battery goes dead while I'm tranferring files to my PC, there's a good chance that will corrupt the files on the memory stick'

Is there any merit to his rationale? :?
35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:43 PM   #2
Administrator

35mm wrote:
Quote:
I don't have a card (stick) reader and wasn't planning on getting one becausemySony V1 has a USB 2.0 interface and I don't ever see the urgency to use my camera at the same time I'm transferring files to my PC.

However, the guy at the camera counter tried to convince meto buya card readeronthe basis that'if my camera's battery goes dead while I'm tranferring files to my PC, there's a good chance of that corrupting
the files on the memory stick'

Is there any merit to his rationale? :?
Chances are, the Memory Stick would not become corrupted, unless you were writing to the card at the time the battery went dead. Even then, the camera may have some kind of safeguard built in that finishes writing the current file, prior to powering down (I don't know how Sony implemented it's power down sequence).

Now, if you "cut and paste" versus "copy and paste", then a cut is a delete, which is a write. So, this increases your chances of corrupting the media.

So, I generally never do any deletes from a PC. I copy the files only. Then, I always format my media with the camera menu (not with a PC) prior to every use. This insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), and is just as fast as deleting the files anyway.

I think it's very unlikely that you would corrupt media by using your camera versus a card reader. Personally,I take the same precautions for both (I never write to the media, using anything other than the camera's menu system). After all, an operating system problem, power failure, etc., can also happen with a PC - even if you are using a card reader.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:42 PM   #3

The biggest reason I use a card reader ALWAYS... is simply because of my investment. At 1700 bucks, I have had the odd close call like accidentally snagging the camera strap as I picked up the camera, nearly dropping it, and stuff happens. To diddle around with connecting the cord, setting the camera on a stable, flat surface (ya right, you should see my computer area...3 networked computers,my son and I and however many of his friends all come and go...) is an invitation to disaster. The card reader is small, the cards are practically bullet proof, and easy to handle. It's a no brainer to me. Plus the computer smokes those files off the card and into their folders just slicker than a peeled onion! Use a reader. I have three of them. They are cheap enough, and double as an easy way for my son to transfer files from one computer to another if he has to for homework, or to access other programs. (I use some of my smaller obsolete cards for this, not my "good" ones) Cards are way down in price too. It's wonderful life...all possible because of card readers!:GBest regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:05 PM   #4

Thanks guys - for your reply (and education)!
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:13 PM   #5

Using a card reader or the direct USB connection to the camera is a question of your own style and preferences. I figure that if I am clumsy enough to drop my camera off my computer desk, I am going to destroy it in some other way very quickly in any case.

Take a look though the forums where folks mumble about memory problems. In just about every case you will find a comment saying they have taken the card out of the camera - dust, static, physical damage, bent pins, scraped contacts, ... can happen when the memory is out of the camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:47 PM   #6

Bill~Makes good sense to me (just one more reason why I don't think I need a card reader)!

Thanks.

Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:45 PM   #7

I would suggest getting either a card reader or an AC adapter. Even if you don't loose pictures or mess up the memory if/when batteries fail, I wouldn't really want to find out what did happen. Likely to be a re-boot at the least. Likely at worse having to re-boot the camera - something I'd rather not do since I am not sure what all my setting are.

Although taking the memory out to put it into a card reader does expose it to damage, the chances of a problem are small if you are carefull. If you aren't carefull, you are likely to drop your camera anyway.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote