Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:35 AM   #1

Hi, I have a Kodak DC4800 which takes great pictures outdoor but insides shots are oftenblurry. I think the main thing here isthat the aperture is 2.8 when not using the zoom, so a camera with a lower aperture would have less pictures with that problem. Am I right or are there others thing to take in account? It's obvious that an externalflash also make a big difference for indoor shooting...
grouminou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:44 PM   #2

Probably the problem is not the aperture, but the shutter speed. With low ligth, shutter usually is slow, so the hand trends to move and the pict is blurred.

I suggest you use the viewfinder, instead LCD for indoor shoots. It puts the camera against your face, and it helps to stabilize the camera.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:31 AM   #3

I know a higher shutter speed, anda tripod for stability would help to fix this issue but this is not my concern. I think the same shot in the same conditions but with a lower apperture would reduce the problem. I just wanted to have this confirmed, although now I'm quite convinced of that...
grouminou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:08 AM   #4

A lower apeture number would allow for a faster shutter to achieve the same level of exposure. So in this sense, it would help indoors.

However, there's no free lunch. The Depth-of-Field decreases with smaller apature as well, so portions of the shot will be out of focus (a narrower range will be in focus). Its not that huge a deal on point-and-shoot cameras (this is one area where the "effective 35mm equivalent" doesn't mean much), but becomes very siginficant on larger sensors (DSLR-sized and above). Its utilized to isolate a subject for portraits and such, blurring the background, but can make for problems because you may only have an inch or less to be in focus at extreme apatures (and close distances), limiting how much of the scene you can have in focus at once. You can get a sense of this with your camera. Take a picture of the same scene, with wide-angle zoom, focused on something near, with f/2.8,f/5.6 and f/8.0 in apature-priority mode, using a tripod or putting the camera down on something solid. Notice that more of the scene will be in focus with f/8.0 - whether or not this is a good thing is dependant on your goal.

Its also not free in the sense that faster glass (lower f) costs money, generally speaking. Without going with a technology that has a removable lens, this is point is pretty mute.

For point/shoot cameras, realize that they're not generally constant max apature (low f) across all zoom levels - zoomed in you will often get a higher number, so you may be able to get better results just taking more wide-angle shots. Yours for instance has f/2.8-4.5, which means that zoomed all the way in, your max apature is f/4.5.

Since your camera does have a flash port on it, you're right to realize this is a way to get better indoor shots (bounce a powerful flash off ceilings).

If you don't want a flash indoors, you'll probably need to put it into a high ISO mode which will shorten the exposure time, at the cost of increase noise in the image.

Cheers!
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote