Old Nov 9, 2002, 7:35 AM   #1
NHL

Default Electronics Image Sensors vs Film: Beyond state-of-the-art

Interesting weekend reading:

http://www.fillfactory.com/htm/techn...df/oeepe99.pdf
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2002, 10:34 AM   #2

NHL ... yes I found this interesting, But I was thinking, It's one thing to see the physics improved in the ccd sensor, but all the commercial corners are likely to be cut or compromised in the cams digital post processing.

Already we know shooting uncompressed gets the best results, even with 3-6 Mpix, but the post ccd processing, speed, storage, (and I include pcs and printers) can make getting results from a digicam a handful - compared to exposing a piece of film in even a modest cam, and getting 6X4 prints in a couple of hours.

I saw some Kodak happy-snappy panoramas the other day. OK I could do this with a digicam, but with a lot of time and effort.

I think digi has still to give up that 'WOW' factor to differentiate it as a compatible reliable and better medium than film. e.g HD to display on plasma panels, of higher quality than slide projection or futuristically, realistic 3D.

At the moment 'digital' is fashionable. But it's my opinion it needs to deliver more.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 12:42 PM   #3
NHL

voxmagna

I totally agree with you there. I believe we are right on edge of the turning point though... Film is pretty much as good as it can be, even Kodaks is putting all its bet now on digital if it wants to survive.

If you go in the detail of the article, there're some aspects where digital is better than film (and it can only improve with Moore's Law):
1. Spatial noise can be calibrated in CCD, whereas in film spatial noise (granularity) cannot be distinguished from temporal noise.
2. Linearity-film combines materials of different speed to extend its dynamic range, but the response of a pixels-photon is superior.
... there are other plus/minus and overall it's an interesting reading.

It's only a matter of time before one'll see a kiosk in every store where you can just stick your flash/microdrive in it and out pop the pictures, and better yet it download everything for you to pbase!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW a telephone booth is good idea (MaBell are you listening?) for this...
Old Nov 9, 2002, 1:37 PM   #4

NHL...All sounds fine, lets hope we don't have to wait too long and in the meantime be forced into incremental spending steps on marginal improvements, 1Mpix at a time!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 6:06 PM   #5
NHL

voxmagna

But you know what though, this is my 3rd digicam, and each time I paid 1/2 as much and got almost twice the resolution !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: