Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:17 AM   #11

I have done many Canvas Portraits with my 4MP OlyE-10 and film.. Weddings are extremely demanding. The D70 eppears that it will give me a more streamline approach, and help decrease the aggravationas compared to film or even the E-10. What I do with the digital image, put it in some PS, and then copy it to a CD and send it to the lab. They reproduce the picture on 20x30 stretched canvas, and then brushstroke it.

I also want to thank you for the information on the Fujis. I didnt know they accepted Nikon lenses
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:23 AM   #12

Great photograph Bern888,

I use A Nikon D100 and A 24/120VR lens with an SB28dx flash on a stroboframe bracketto do weddings and it works out perfect. I know how dificult doing dark skin and solid white dresses can be. That photo You are showing is very nice. I used to use A Hasselblad and always had to lug around 50 or 60 pounds of equipment. Now I get better results without even having to wait to see what the results of what I photographed looked like. No film or processing $$$$ wasted either.

Here is a Portrait I did for A Young fellow.
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:22 AM   #13

Well Ronnie, that was one of the great challenges of my photographic life, shooting black people in white. And I had the nerve as an inexperience photographer as to wanting to do weddings:G Made me want to quit a many day. At first I tried shooting automatic, and that was a dissaster. Then I tried having a communication with the lab, so they knew they were suppose to autmacticly lighten the pictures when I had them developed. That was still too amateurish. I even went as far as requesting the bride to at least request the groom and his men to wear black or gray tuxedos:G:G. Finally I had figure if I was going to stay with shooting weddings, some kind of way I must shoot manually and much more off camera lighting. It worked at a very low percntage, but I usually got good skin tone andcontrast with white clothing. As you know timing for setting up lights is impossible at weddings, but shooting manually does help tremendously.

I dont do that many weddings but I would almost %100 shoot manually. So that means plenty batteries, and a wealth of knowledge with distances. Ive exclusivedly used the Mamiya 645 which was tons lighter then your Hassy, but still tedious. My E10 and autofocus has convienced me digital has arrived well enough for meI never thought this stuff could be so easy until I tried it. The D70 with this SB800 is great. I think the key to digital photography if you have a DSLR, is still shoot for the best possible exposure, composition, and knowledge of using a manual camera, and then still be able toenhancethe photoat your own discretion with the computer tools, such as PS, etc., etc.
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote