Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:37 PM   #1

Im now in possession of a D70, and I have already obtain 3 nikon lenses. I have been weeding out all my other equipment, such as Mam645 and Canon35. I am completely satisfied with the D70 digital output, as my previous E-10 won me over enough to continue to pursue digital photography.

I have always been captivated with Nikon cameras although I have never owned any previously. I had been contemplating adding a Nikon film camera to the stable. After further contemplating im now set on a Pro version digital to add to the D70. Whereas the D2H seem to be in my entry level budget, i would love for someone to enlighten me on the stepup difference from the D70 to the D2H. Mostly on the difference between the 4MP in the DH and the 6MP in the D70, and how that difference comes into play with the Pro camera having less MP. Im still new so I would appreciate any input.

Thank You
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:06 PM   #2

You really should ask this in the Nikon DSLR section.

To answer some of your question you need to tell us what type of photography you do. The D2H was aimed at a specific market and made trade offs to hit it. Its benefits might be exactly what you want or be wasted and not worth the extra money. Without this information I/we can't really help you.

You should also consider the Fuji S2 Pro and S3 Pro. Heck, you might even consider the new Kodak (but I've heard mixed things about it... I don't shoot Nikon so I didn't pay much attention.) I know someone who shoots with the S2 Pro and likes it a lot.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:15 PM   #3

The D2h is a far more robust camera build wise than the d70 and it can shoot JPEGS at a rate of 8 fps. If you paln on shooting sports or action photography or photojournalism, this is definitely the Nijon body to look at. Nikon has just reduced the price on the D2h to something like $1900 or so.

The lower mp is only a problem if you need to crop the images severely. I routinely enlarge sports images I shoot with my D2h up to 16x20 with little effort; the results are quite impressive.

The metering and the AF is top of the line; an exceptional camera for what it does. But then again, so is the D70, unless you need to abuse a body or shoot 8 fps
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:59 PM   #4

IMO, Any thing over ISO 800 on the d2h requires noise reduction to be suitible for anything such as selling photos to parents, or selling photos to magzines.
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:50 PM   #5

Thanks to all you guys for the input. When I saw Q&A thats what I hit first. I wasnt even thinking DSLR.Appreciate the advice eric for future reference.

My type of photography will be weddings and sports action.My E-10 did wonders for me with Weddings. I guess I wanted to make sure the 4MP with all the added technology with the Dh2willbe even a bigger asset.

Although I am a buff, I do planon putting both to work for me:-)

Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:40 PM   #6

bradg wrote:
Quote:
IMO, Any thing over ISO 800 on the d2h requires noise reduction to be suitible for anything such as selling photos to parents, or selling photos to magzines.
Point well taken....not only do I NOT disagree, I would go so far as to say that anything over ISO 400 gets a little tough to take. I just shot a college basketball game this aftenoon and the images I shot at 800 sure do have a lot of grain, but I needed the speed.

Thank heavens for "Noise Ninja"
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:08 AM   #7

From a press point of view, even the noisiest images at the highest ISO settings are still sellable, as with the paparrazi especially it's all about what the photo is of, not it's quality.

Imagine the people in this attached photo were George Bush and Osama Bin Laden. Any newspaper in the world would pay a fortune for it, even if it was ten times as noisy as this!

On a less extreme scale, the British tabloids are full of technically terrible photos every single day, because as long as you can tell which soap star is falling over drunk as they stumble out of a club at 3am, you've got a buyer for it.
Attached Images

MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:55 PM   #8

bern888,
The D2h will do great for sports. Its the market it was built for. The AF speed is just amazing, and you need that.

Weddings is a little bit different, but not that much. Then you need a wider variety of lenses all that focus quick and work well in low light. You also need good flashes for the set shots.

The really big question/problem is the same for both markets. How big a print do you regularly make? How much cropping do you do? Resolution really helps to let you compose in the computer (instead of when you take the shot) and it makes it easier to make big prints. Now, we all know that you should get the right composition in-camera, but not everyone does. As you probably know, you can make big prints (13x19) with 2MP cameras, but they original picture has to have absolutely amazing quality. It has to survive the enlarging process, and enlarging magnifies any flaws (mostly less than tac sharp focus.)

If you only make 8x11 prints, then it should do fine. If you sell poster size prints... that would be difficult. Possible, certainly, but difficult.

Eric
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:47 PM   #9

Thanks again Eric. I like the specs of the D2h. And think I should be able to handle weddings also. At this time I have a SB-800, and also 50-1.4, and 28/75-2.8. Im going to be basicly around 8x10 enlargements, and occasional 16-20, 20-30. Im pretty decent with composition so that should help with containing image quality anyway. Heres a picture of a 20x30 canvas that Iwas able to do with the D70 shot on F-L, with 1 off camera type fill light. This pic I was allow to take trying out the D70. Im striving for perfection with help from people as yourself. I really enjoy being on this sight
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:00 PM   #10

Wedding photography is a touchy subject with me. Have you done it before, or do you plan on doing it?

Other than the 4MP, the D2H is a great camera for weddings. They are very demanding and require get low-light performance and fast AF. In many ways, wedding photography is way more demanding than sports... or basically any other type of photography.

That is a nice shot you got there, well done. Do you literally mean that you printed this on Canvas? The nature of the surface of most canvas means that it can mask slight focus issues. So that will work in your favor.

Eric