Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:34 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

Can anybody explain what is the difference between Glossy and Matte paper in terms of the color output and overall look. Which type of paper would produce the best color?

Thanks
Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:02 PM   #2

First off, you're going to have to say who's Glossy and Matte. Be specific, like "Epson Heavy Weight Matte" or "Epson Glossy Photo Paper" (as opposed to "Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper")

A difference is (obviously) in how they look. Some pictures want the shine of a Glossy. Others look funny that way. For example, I find most bird pictures (which is mostly what I do) look odd in Glossy but look good in a heavy weight matte.

As to which has a better contrast and color rendition, I'm not sure. To my eye, they are the same. But I'm sure tests have been done that prove it (or otherwise).

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:27 PM   #3

I use HP premium plus soft gloss paper- formerly called matte). I notice that all my prints have a fine grain to them. I was wondering if all matte prints are like that or if there is a problem with the printer. I use an HP 1210 printer and I print at 4800x1200 dpi. What is your experience with matte paper?

thanks
Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:15 PM   #4

The same image will look slightly different if printed on both gloss and matt, both in terms or colour and contrast, but if you calibrate your computer to whatever type of paper you're using you will still end up with the same printed result, even though the on screen image will vary slightly.
Then as eric s says, it just comes down to whether or not you like your prints to be shiny.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote