Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 9, 2002, 4:09 PM   #1

Default Viewing - by Monitor or prints?

I wonder how most people view their pictures? If I want to mail a picture to somebody who doesn't have a computer - and there are still a few around - I usually send a postcard-sized print through the mail. But for most viewing, I've concluded that I'd rather look at pictures on a monitor than as prints. Even big prints don't have the same impact as a picture on a screen - and certainly don't have the same brightness range.

This got me curious about the quality of the display on monitors - and I found this site - http://www.digitalproducer.com/2001/...02/ibmt220.htm

Here's part of what it says - " IBM Introduces Highest-Resolution Computer Monitor...... Crams 9.2 Million Pixels in a Viewing Area of Two 8 1/2" X 11" Pages.......The T220, with a screen that shows 12-times more detail than current monitors, becomes the highest resolution monitor to be announced........It enhances the exchange of all types of visual data between machine and the end user, making it possible to see levels of clarity and resolution in electronic images previously attained only in the highest resolution printed media....making the viewing of video and digital photos a completely new and more realistic experience."

OOOH I thought, lovely. I want one.

Then I read on -

"The starting price for the new monitor announced today is $22,000."

Where is monitor technology right now? I have a 17 inch ADi Microscan monitor that seems to me to have quite reasonable resolution. Still, the thought of something better appeals to me - but NOT at $22,000.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2002, 6:27 PM   #2

My monitor and the pics are very close. I have a gateway EV910 and you can adjust the RGB settings to achieve truer color resolution.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 4:56 PM   #3

So which is real wysiwyg then - the monitor or the printout?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 5:31 PM   #4

wysiwyg would only be true if the printer and monitro are calibrated to the same color scale.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 5:53 AM   #5

But aren't there colour space differences when capturing and translating colour from srgb in the cam, via CIE to CMYK inks?

The monitor phosphors and tube gamma determine the range of colours you see, so can tweaking a monitor really map colour, from the scene you shot, straight through to the ink colour range put on prints?
Old Nov 11, 2002, 6:14 AM   #6

The sequence, I believe, is to insure that the camera produces true colors to the subject. Calibrate the monitor to the picture produced by the camera, and then calibrate the printer to the picture on the monitor. I have not found it necessary to adjust my camera or my monitor. I do check the calibration of my printer when I insert a new cartridge or refill a cartridge. Each individual will see colors different. I produce photos to be correct to my vision.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 6:25 AM   #7

Have you any experience of using calibrated targets? I read you can get these for cameras and and scanners, so you can 'measure' rgb data results from the tiles, to set up custom profiles, without using eyes.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 7:24 AM   #8

In the early 90's, when color monitors became affordable, we had DOS based color bar generators. You could tune the RGB color guns with these generators. You had to take the monitor covers off to do this procedure. Newer monitors have color adjustments built in the system. Also better video cards will also have color management programs.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:42 PM   #9

Default Re: Viewing - by Monitor or prints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Here's part of what it says - " IBM Introduces Highest-Resolution Computer Monitor...... Crams 9.2 Million Pixels in a Viewing Area of Two 8 1/2" X 11" Pages.......The T220, with a screen that shows 12-times more detail than current monitors, becomes the highest resolution monitor to be announced........It enhances the exchange of all types of visual data between machine and the end user, making it possible to see levels of clarity and resolution in electronic images previously attained only in the highest resolution printed media....making the viewing of video and digital photos a completely new and more realistic experience."

OOOH I thought, lovely. I want one.

Then I read on -

"The starting price for the new monitor announced today is $22,000."

Where is monitor technology right now?
If you want to see some high end monitors in action, check out a diagnostic quality display at your local medical imaging center. These are the things that radiologists use to read images captured from digital sources. Good stuff.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote