Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:11 PM   #1

hi i am looking for a digital camera that handles 640x480 movies at 30fps, well i found the pentax optioMX and Oly C-770 both uses mpeg4 and with a 1gb card i can do a movie i think more than an hour.

i like also tha canon S1 IS but it uses AVI and can only record about 10 minutes in 1gb card :shock:

ive heard about mjpeg but i didnt know what is it :?

What i would like to know is if theres another type of compression "in the middle" not only 10 minutes but doesnt have to be 1 hour, not that i dont like but i only found those 2 cameras that has mpeg4 movie

need your help

thanks in advance
cordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:35 AM   #2

Hi Cordis,

I've been a reader of these forums for some time. I have noticed your other thread on your search for a capable still and movie camera.

First of all, let's define video as playback of multiple still images in a predetermined sequence and speed.

MJPEG is the most straightforward implementation of video capture based on the above definition. MJPEG stands for Motion JPEG. In the MJPEG scheme, the camera captures full frame images and stores them in sequence. MJPEG is the most common implementation since it leverages the JPEG encoders already in the cameras.

MPEG (Motion Picture Experts Group) created more space efficient standards to store video data. There are a lot of duplicate data between frames in a video, because most of the time, the movement on screen is limited to a small area. MPEG standards reduce the redundancy by storing only the differences between frames.

MPEG4 is the third generation standard. The ones before it are MPEG1, used by VCD's, and MPEG2, used by DVD's. Each new standard defines more advanced algorithm for better quality reproduction at lower bitrate (size).

You asked for a format that is between MJPEG and MPEG4 bitrates. MPEG2 would fit your requirement. But in the world of MPEG technology, higher bitrate MPEG2 may still be inferior in quality to MPEG4.

MPEG2 video recorders: Panasonic D-Snap AV100 and JVC Everio. Both of these cameras are more targetted at the video market, and their still image resolution is very poor by photography's standard. That is, only 640x480 for D-Snap and 2 megapixels for Everio.

There are more and more cameras that come with MPEG4 encoder. You mentioned Olympus C-770Z and Pentax Optio MX (I would recommend you skip MX and check out MX4 though.) Additionally, there are Sanyo Xacti C4 (pass the Xacti/Fisher C1), Sony DSC-M1, etc. Do keep in mind that camera-based video recorders like Olympus C-770Z puts audio recording as afterthought, usually monural if at all, despite having MPEG4 video encoder.

I hope this has been informative and helped you in your search.
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:18 PM   #3

thanks, well the difference betweem MX and MX4 are only the MP 3.2 x 4.0?

i am trying to see if someone can send me an optio mx movie but it seems nobody has this camera.

i didnt understand what you said "Sanyo Xacti C4 (pass the Xacti/Fisher C1)" the name are similar but thers from 2 different brands, and sanyo is better is it?

both the pentax and Oly 770 records with audio?

this sony is a little expensive, the pentax is US$200

i dont care about monoural sound, sometimes i dont even care about sound its only to do movies of my kids playing, at school in some parties, just to get memories of them, i habe a mini-dv but i dont want to carry a digital camera and a camcorder and sometimes a kid in my arms so i will sell my camcorder and get a camera that i can shoot some movies

thanks for your help

cordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:15 PM   #4

MX4 adds electronic image stabilization over MX. It is not as good as optical, but it still makes a big difference. In my opinion, this improvement is much more valuable than the 3 megapixel to 4 megapixel ugprade.

There seems to be very little end user information on MX and MX4 out there. A Japanese web site did a review on a MX4 last month. The language might be a problem, but you can still download the pictures and videos from it. http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re...12/22/605.html

Sanyo is the original manufacturer of C1 and C4. They just decided to use the Fisher brand to market the C1 in western markets. For the C4, they will use the Sanyo brand.

Pentax MX4 records audio in stereo. I believe the Olympus C-770UZ records mono audio, but not certain on this.

For what it's worth, I researched both MX4 and C4 in depth before getting a C4 in Japan.
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote