Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:45 PM   #1

I currently have an HP 145 for my digital camera. Since I usually only print off 4x6's, I didn't think that I needed to spend the extra money on a larger printer. I upgraded from my old 2.0 MP Fuji camera to a 4.1 MP Canon camera, and I was thinking about buying a canon cp-220, because it's pictbridge. I was wondering if it'd be worth it?
jarrettmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:46 PM   #2

Come on, please reply.
jarrettmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:59 PM   #3

I'm not a big fan of PictBridge. I couldn't imagine spending the money to print a picture without cropping and enhancing on the computer. I also can sort better on the computer than with a small LCD on the camera or printer. I probably take 20 pictures for every one I print.

PictBridge has to crop an even amount off the top and bottom of a picture to give you a 4 X 6 from your 3:4 ratio image from the camera. This is an example of where you would want to crop yourself as an even amount would cut someone's head off. You wouldn't miss the feet as much.

You should get better print quality from a new printer.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 2:39 PM   #4

jarrettmac wrote:
Quote:
I currently have an HP 145 for my digital camera. Since I usually only print off 4x6's, I didn't think that I needed to spend the extra money on a larger printer. I upgraded from my old 2.0 MP Fuji camera to a 4.1 MP Canon camera, and I was thinking about buying a canon cp-220, because it's pictbridge. I was wondering if it'd be worth it?

I can't see a problem with that, the Canon CP220 produces very good Dye-Sub prints. (300dpi x 300dpi on the dye-sub is about 4800x4800 dpi on an ink jet)

In the UK you can buy 36 sheets of paper with the ink ribbon for £9.95 so its not too expensive to run.

As its a canon printer the canon camera will connect no problem.

Turn camera on to play back mode and the pict bridge symbol will appear select your picture and crop it to how you like, this will ensure you don't chop off heads and the like.

The cropped area will be printed 4x6.

I know this as I have a CP220! and tried it on my fathers 300D/rebel the results are excellent. You can also print out black & white shots using the colour ribbon results are still good, maybe a little grey but I think this is the way the camera processes the b&w image as this grey colour appeared on my inkjet.

The only time I got true blacks, was when I scanned a traditional film taken b&wpicture in to the PC and printed this. The dye-subs both produced excellent results.

I also connected this printer to my PC and printed off via the computer just select CP220 and make sure you select the 4x6 size. dead easy no problem.

I don't use mine any more as I now have the Hi-touch Dye-Sub.

In answer to your question I think it would be worth it, IMHO the Dye-Subs produce the best quality pictures and the CP220 does print very nice pictures.

If you do ever want larger prints send them to a lab if you don't do that many.

Hope this helps

Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote