Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:28 AM   #1

Hi all

I am going skiing next month and would like to take my digital camera on the slopes with me. However I am a bit worried about doing this as I have told that they are very susceptible to damage from knocks and bumps. The camera will be in a soft case, which inturn will be in a semi-hard case, with the whole lot going in a rucsack. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Many thanks

Dave
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:45 AM   #2

I was seriously thinking about it too about bringing my camera (canon G6) skiing with me and doing some movie mode downhill shots. But then I thought..'who's going to hold the camera for me while I ski downhill?'. I don't want a friend to scratch up my camera or mishandle it, so in the end decided I wouldn't bring a camera for getting movies. Although I have brought my nikon 950 to take still-pictures. I carry it in my rucksack. When I have the camera with me, I skip the double-blacks and moguls...in case I fall over. The soft case should be fine, as long as you don't fall over, or do some serious jumps etc. When you decide to put the camera back into your rucksack after it's been out in the cold, it's probably a good idea to first put it into a zip lock bag before placing it back into your rucksack...prevents too much moisture build up from the air during the warming up of the camera when you go back indoors later.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:56 AM   #3

My worry is that will fall over (probably quite a lot!) With this is mind would I be better advised to leave it at home, despite the fact it would be fairly well protected?

Cheers

Dave
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:03 AM   #4

Yah...I think that if you fall a lot (ie in learning stages, which is very very normal) then just leave the camera at home until there's a time (and there will be!) where you feel comfortable on the skis. I'm sure that after a short time, with lots of skiing done, you'll be able to carry the camera around with you in the rucksack without any problems. Once you progress beyond a certain stage, you'll immediately know when it's safe to take your camera...because there eventually comes a stage when skiing down a green or blue for you will be like just walking down the road (completely natural). That's if you plan to do lots of skiing. Otherwise, if you pad up your camera with thick layers of soft padded material, your camera should be ok. Then just take the camera out whenever you want to take pics/movies. And make sure to use the ziplock-bag after you've finished using the camera (put it in the ziplock in the cold before putting it back into the rucksack).
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:10 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Its not that I'm a beginner, its just that I'm a bit reckless and take quite a lot of risks when I'm skiing. Perhaps I ought to calm down a bit on the days when I take the camera out!!
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:12 AM   #6

I see! .. that's true. Me too. On the day I take my camera...I just give the expert runs a miss. Well, the expert runs where I think there can be a chance of falling if caught an edge etc that is.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:23 AM   #7

Dave M wrote:
Quote:
Hi all

I am going skiing next month and would like to take my digital camera on the slopes with me. However I am a bit worried about doing this as I have told that they are very susceptible to damage from knocks and bumps. The camera will be in a soft case, which inturn will be in a semi-hard case, with the whole lot going in a rucsack. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Many thanks

Dave
Your protection methods seem reasonable - why not get an inexpensive cam at Wal-Mart and try it out? You can get a name-brand camera for under $150, some even under $100. It won't ruin your life if you ruin an inexpensive camera, and you can consider it a learning experience....

PhilR.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:39 PM   #8
rds

Anytime I'm doing anything where I want pics but don't want to risk my digicam I get one of those disposable ones. That way, if I loose/break/soak it, I'm out $20 instead of $500. They take half-decent pictures, can be used in all sorts of different settings, and you can get your pics printed and/or on CD, as well.
rds is offline   Reply With Quote