Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 10, 2002, 5:52 PM   #1

Default Depth of Field

I really like pictures that have a high depth of field. My Kodak DC3400 took beautiful pictures with great depth of field. My new Canon S230 produces pictures with very bad depth of feild, practically everything in the background is in horrible focus. I really don't know what to do. Should I return the S230 and purchase another camera? Should I just go back to my Kodak DC3400, which I was so very happy with? It has a lower resolution and is so bulky, but god I love the photos. Any suggestions are appreciated.
BCobra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2002, 8:25 PM   #2

Check your manual settings to change your aperture to increase your depth of field. Try this web site for some insight:

http://shortcourses.com/using/index.htm
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 10:54 PM   #3
Administrator

Default Re: Depth of Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobra99
I really like pictures that have a high depth of field. My Kodak DC3400 took beautiful pictures with great depth of field. My new Canon S230 produces pictures with very bad depth of feild, practically everything in the background is in horrible focus. I really don't know what to do. Should I return the S230 and purchase another camera? Should I just go back to my Kodak DC3400, which I was so very happy with? It has a lower resolution and is so bulky, but god I love the photos. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Suggest you go for the Canon S30 or another digicam that offers an aperture priority mode. By adjusting the aperture you control the depth of field. The pocket size ELPHs are basically automatic point-n-shoot cameras.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 9:21 AM   #4

Default depth of field

on the subj of depth of field...i was shooting at f11, f22...etc with the 80-400 vr and d1x...at very low light condition....not sure exactly but a round 10sec or longer exposure...picture seem pretty sharp but when zooming in, i see red dots?...what is that?..dead pixels?...

same lense, 1/2 the exposure time, f11 and lower....the prob went away....

watcha think?
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 10:25 AM   #5
Administrator

Not "dead" pixels - those are "hot" pixels. Even cameras like the D1X are prone to electronic imager noise at long shutter speeds. Not a problem with film but unfortunately it is a big problem with digital. There are some cameras that excel at this however, such as the D30, D60 and D100 have all shown relatively noise-free images at up to 30 second exposures.

This is especially a problem for the consumer priced digicams which begin to create hot pixels at shutter speeds slower than 1/2 second.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 12:30 PM   #6

can you some how remove the red "hot pixel"...by software
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 5:53 PM   #7

To remove hot pixels try http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/hotpixels.htm. It's free and works remarkably well.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote