Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2002, 7:01 AM   #1

Default Looking for a better DigiCam

Hi all, I have had a Fuji mx1200 for too long and Iím now wanting better, I seen review's here and other place's on the:

Fuji 2800zoom
And
Canon A40

And yes thay sound quiet good, but after looking in forums to see what people think, it's near to changing my mind.

Fuji 2800 zoom barrel is very delicate and some zooms get jammed on their own

Canon A40 is crap at indoor's low light, underexposed and out overexposed + to top this one all off some of the zooms have problem focusing

I have about £240 at a push = to $355 US Dollars

I would like the cam to be able to take good picture's out & indoor + have a 3x or more zoom (with no focusing con's)

Would like the cam to use AA's NOT battery packs

Thanks

Jams
Jams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:45 PM   #2

Where did you see such problems with the A40? I've got one of the previous models, the A10, which has none of the problems you've stated.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2002, 3:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by padeye
Where did you see such problems with the A40? I've got one of the previous models, the A10, which has none of the problems you've stated.
As far as I know it's only the a40, the one that I was thinking of getting

does anyone know what cam i could get that's good for indoor and outdoor shots?

[Edited on 6-20-2002 by Jams]
Old Jun 20, 2002, 4:39 PM   #4

Yes, but _where_ did you hear such a bad report on the A40? I'm highly suspicous of it considering my experience with the similar A10 and all the published reports I've read. I get excellent low light shots and the slow sync fill flash feature gives dramatic results.
Old Jun 21, 2002, 2:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Yes, but _where_ did you hear such a bad report on the A40? I'm highly suspicous of it considering my experience with the similar A10 and all the published reports I've read. I get excellent low light shots and the slow sync fill flash feature gives dramatic results.
Where, at Forums/Boards.. Poeple that have used the A40..Here
http://www.photo-forums.com/[email protected]^[email protected]

Have a look around this site, Im mite buy it and see what it's like for my self, but im not sure

Jams
Old Jun 21, 2002, 1:10 PM   #6

Thanks for the links. Looks like Canon does have acknowledged problems with the A40 but is taking steps to fix it according to some posts on another board. Too bad they dropped the ball on this one. I was considering trading my A10 for an A40 so I could get higher resolution underwater shots. Maybe I'll just look for a deal on a used A20.
Old Jun 21, 2002, 11:36 PM   #7

FYI Canon tech support responded to my query: "has the 13.4mm focus problem with the A40 been addressed and corrected? I've read reports from many dozens of users who report a badly focused images at this focal length."

Canon's reply:
"Canon has not released any information or firmware updates to address focal length issues with the A40 digital camera. I apologize for this inconvenience."

Sounds like it's best to avoid the A40 for now.
Old Jun 22, 2002, 5:57 AM   #8

Quote:
FYI Canon tech support responded to my query: "has the 13.4mm focus problem with the A40 been addressed and corrected? I've read reports from many dozens of users who report a badly focused images at this focal length."

Canon's reply:

"Canon has not released any information or firmware updates to address focal length issues with the A40 digital camera. I apologize for this inconvenience."

Sounds like it's best to avoid the A40 for now.
Well thats just great, why sell them if there faulty. Look like im not going to buy a canon at all (can't trust them!)

Thanks
Jams

Editadeye could u recommend a digicam that dose good pictures in and outdoors, I was thinking the pentax230 sounds good (would like it to use AA's not battery packs)

[Edited on 6-22-2002 by Jams]
Old Jun 30, 2002, 1:07 PM   #9

Default There a fix out...

Yep there a fix for the A40 zoom blur @ 13.4mm

@ http://www.photo-forums.com/[email protected]^[email protected] (post 144)