Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:22 PM   #1

Spy botts on this software Steve is using...suggest you clean your hard drive after leaving here. WOWBB 1.62 can be set up to collect personal information about you!
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:07 PM   #2

One of the Botts...this software is sending out is" Hotbar.com.inc

It's nice to go and talk Photography among friends....but please tell me you are recording my conversation!
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:22 PM   #3
Administrator

It is common for people to "think" they know where some spybot or virus infection came from but ... Wherever you got your information that this spybot came from WowBBS is simply not true. As you can imagine, I spend a lot of time here on the forums myself and I routinely run Spybot S&D to keep my computer clean and I have never detected any instance of the Hotbar.com.inc spybot or any other "spybot". The only thing this software uses is cookies and that's to keep track of when you're logged in and what messages you've read and what topics you're watching.

If you have something concrete then please feel free to PM me about it and we'll investigate it fully. Otherwise please do not make such posts onour forums.

-Steve

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:25 PM   #4

Well, been doing computers, TI, Commodore, IBM ...did'nt even have a PC on the market...Apple just came on the market as kit....

When you log on to this board...you are sharing information have caught two botts getting info from you!

Why should I have to explain...if you have ever downloaded music into your I-POD...you probably have been infected..

This board also supports "POP-UP's" don't have that problem they are blocked.

Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:48 PM   #5
Administrator

Ross wrote:
Quote:
When you log on to this board...you are sharing information have caught two botts getting info from you!
Ross:

Steve asked you to not to make such posts here (and yet you have continued). He was very clear (and correct) that WowBB does not make use of Spybots.

If you have Spyware, you got it from somewhere else. I'd suggest you considerusing Spybot S&D:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

You may also want to consider running one of the popular virus protection and removal products. None are perfect, but you candownload a free version of AVG Antivirus:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

In addition,you maywant to consider installing a different firewall. You can download a free version of Zone Alarm:

Zone Alarm Download Page

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:35 PM   #6

Yes, I have spyware and Norton firewall, blocking all over the place...I have over five computers in my house hold run a business from here...very aware what is coming down.

Sorry for being so rude! Love this board and give it out to all my customers....Just a middle aged man who has been doing photography since I was 7 years old..Worked for Polaroid for many years....met Dr. Land and Ansel Adams....great for a young man..I have a Polaroid I took of Ansel would love to post here. I make too much money for my old age and tend to try every camera on the market...have much to share...sorry to all...I now sell photographic products to Professionals, Costco and WalMart photo labs...you know the "paper" starts with F..i....

Ross
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:42 PM   #7

Good to have you here Ross! Now quit running around in the theater shouting "FIRE" & we'll all have fun!
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:52 PM   #8
Administrator

Ross wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I have spyware and Norton firewall, blocking all over the place...I have over five computers in my house hold run a business from here...very aware what is coming down.
Ross:

I'd make sure you've got the latest updates for these packages,and make sure you're using the "genuine" Spybot S&D (see the link in my last post), as there are some copycat products around.

BTW, there are some bogus spyware detection products around now, too. Some products that claim to find spyware actually install spyware instead. So, if Norton is reporting Spyware trying to access the internet from your PC, it may be something you've installed.

I'd suggest you consider using the products I mentioned above (Spybot S&D, AVG Antivirus) to scan your PC for problems (making sure you download the latest updates for each one).

Edit/Added:

I'm sure forum members would love to see thatPolaroid! Please scan it and post it if you get a chance.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:45 AM   #9

Thanks Jim...I really like Georiga...I looked at housing there with Polaroid...when they were shutting down and sold out to a no name bank....Florida too...lived there for 3 years in the Navy...Aviation Electronics...love the east coast...

Ross

I will have to rescan the Polaroid of Ansel Adams..have a better scanner since then...really great man to talk to wish he could talk now. to all here..

Love to all, Ross

Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:45 AM   #10

Well - I use Firefox as my browser which blocks all spybots so it's a non-issue. Only IE users have to worry about pop-ups, spybots and other BAD things. Plus - Firefox is twice as fast loading photos.

I run spyware(spybot whatever that software is) and since I have had FireFox (2 months) not one has made it through - AND not one pop-up. AND - it's free!!
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote