Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2002, 9:06 PM   #1

Default Special Image quality of different Digital Camera Brands

I've been browsing several sites on and off, i often read comments such as "Fujifilm and Kodak cameras produce very saturated pictures"..."Olympus and Nikon have pictures that are more natural" Pictures from Sony digital cameras are very sharp etc..

I would like to know, what kind of pictures are each of the big camera brands known for? (Canon, Nikon, Oly, Fuji, Minolta, Kodak, Konica and Sony)
dorae006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2002, 11:51 AM   #2

I use Olympus and find the pictures often need a small amount of sharpening and saturation but they are very natural.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:00 PM   #3

You seem to already know about as much as I've heard, about positive qualities, at least. The only quality to add would be that Olympus is known for accurate color (but others may disagree). Don't know how much to make of such generalities. To the extent they apply at all, these qualities apply mainly to the prosumer or more advanced consumer models. All bets are off for the cheaper models from these brands. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of the Sony sharpness apart from their 707/717. (The Fuji S602 is also exceptionally sharp for 3 MP.)
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:26 PM   #4

The one thing I noticed when switching from my old Fuji 2400 to my Olympus was that the colours. The Oly produced, as said above, very accurate colours.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 1:01 PM   #5

There are so many reasons why colour/ sharpness becomes a tag for a cam. The ccd itself has colour specs, although there may only be a few sources of chips. The only fair way to compare is by first looking at uncompressed RAW images from each cam.

Add jpeg, together with in-cam processing and each manufacturer will create distinctive branding according to perceived market taste! Image fidelity, (rather than high contrast, bright colour images) does not always sell cams.

This is what photo editing is for, to create an individual personal look you are happy with.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 5:26 PM   #6

does anyone know what kinda of pictures Nikon cameras typically produce? Are the colors well saturated, are the pictures sharp?

Would everyone agree that Kodak and Fujifilm cams produce best pictures in terms of colors?
Old Nov 14, 2002, 1:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorae006
Would everyone agree that Kodak and Fujifilm cams produce best pictures in terms of colors?
Only if you prefer saturation to accuracy.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 1:14 PM   #8

No
Old Nov 14, 2002, 9:37 PM   #9

Default Special Image Quality of Different Camera Brands

Hey Dora, I can tell you that my brother's Nikon 995 does not produce images as saturated as my friend's Kodak. The colors are more accurate and not as saturated. Same with my friend's Canon G2, not as saturated as Kodak, but very slightly more saturated than my Oly D510, and the Nikon.
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 2:58 PM   #10

Are fujifilm pictures more saturated than Kodak ones?