Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:54 PM   #11

Wow. 30x30... what kind of equipment are you going to use to get a print that big?

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:59 PM   #12

It's a Sony 8 mega pixel. I was so suprised how well the pictures turned out when they are this big. I have talked to several people with this camera and they have printed up to size 40 x 50 and have done wall murals ( saw one) and it looked great! You just have to make sure your settings are right before you take the picture. I have had the camera since last July and I love it. I am a stay at home mom and have started taking pictures for fun and friends since I got this. Do you do it for a hobby or work, and what equipment do you use?
crystaldm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:13 PM   #13

A suggestion:

If she's having a 90th birthday (Wow!) then a contextual backdrop might be in order. Is there anyplace that is part of her life that is the same age? Here's about 100 people. 2MP cropped jpg
Attached Images

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:20 PM   #14

OK you'll have to forgive me I'm a little slow. I guess I don't understand the question. The party is at a hotel.
crystaldm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:28 PM   #15

(I think the "contextual backdrop" means "here's a picture with the birthday girl and something that is also 90 years old" or "here's a place that's particularly relevant." So rather than a plain black background you'll shoot in front of a 90-year-old bridge, or school, or stage erected at the same time... or something like that.

Hmm. 8 mp... that means you'd get 89 pixels per inch without resampling. That will probably look kinda blocky (you can search the forums for opinions about how many megapixels you need). So I would definitely suggest that you do some resampling to increase the resolution before you do any final prints.

I use a Canon Digital Rebel (6.3 MP dSLR) with various lenses (some really good, some not) .. but hey I got a great deal on it from a guy oneBay (imagine that... eBay that works!).

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:29 PM   #16

I thought a hillside by an old schoolhouse where you could stand them bleacher-like, or stairs of an old courthouseas in perdendosi's pic would add to the celebration of her age. If you have to stay in the hotel, this wouldn't be helpful, though.

You can buy rolls of paper backdrop-we mistakenly ordered several to replace the standard plasticized fabric one at work.That one and my memoryof portrait studios is a light Gray backdrop with faint cloud-like white splotches.

How difficult would it be to use the camera's panorama function and stand them in a semi-circle? I see lots of oldgroupphotos in panorama.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:32 PM   #17

Thanks for explainingperdendosi! I didn't mean to walk on your post, I was typing while you posted!:-)
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:41 PM   #18

Panzergnome wrote:
Quote:
How difficult would it be to use the camera's panorama function and stand them in a semi-circle? I see lots of oldgroupphotos in panorama.
Precisely what I'm thinking too. Photo-stiching.

Since it's a party, and a big one too. Chances are this would be in a big restaurant or some hotel function room. Let the hotel and restaurant worry about getting your back drop. Coordinate with your friend (or the party organizer) and the hotel/restaurant people for the color. That should solve your problem.

Hope that helps.

...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:03 AM   #19

Stitching a panorama of that kind is about the hardest that you can do. People move between shots so a great deal of retouching will be needed and a fairly sophisticated (difficult) software.

You might think of a collage, maybe ten shots of 10-15 folks each with fillers of single shots of particularily important people.

The old group panos you see were mostly made with a moving slit camera. That can be done with a digital camera: you might be able to get one for under $10,000 (see http://www.betterlight.com/panoWideView.asp)
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote