Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 18, 2005, 7:48 PM   #1

Hi,
Sorry if this is in the wrong area, but I wasn't sure.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've been shooting a few pics with my digital camera and also started scanning old family pics on my Canon 9950F.

The main problem I have is how to sort them.

It seems that most of the software allowing you to "tag" pictures won't be compatible between programs and I've read EXIF wasn't designed to be a writeable metadata.

So, is there any way that I can embed information in photos that will be readable across most photo cateloging programs and won't be unreadable in 5 years time? Is there anything that works like ID3 in the MP3 world that will allow me to add date, people in the pic, location etc into a .jpg file?

Any guidence is greatly appreciated. I've googled and googled by I can't find a "standard". I don't want to jump from one program to another each year and have to redo all my tags each time :sad:
infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:56 PM   #2

My suggestion would be to look into the program IMatch.
http://www.photools.com/products.php

It understands EXIF data along with IPTC data. It is a standard, I think developed for the journalism world.
You can find out more about it here:
http://www.iptc.org/pages/index.php

IMatch supports adding your own tags to the pictures. This would definitely do the trick.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:16 PM   #3

I've tried IMatch and it is really good, although recently I have been playing around with Picasa2 (which is free... www.picasa.com)
IMatch has a real advantage over picasa in that it allows you to search and view the thumbnails of images which are not on your PC (those that you have moved off to CD) If this is important to you then I reccomend that you go with IMatch.
Picassa, IMHO, is however easier to use... if maybe a little too easy at times (like it was designed to be easy for overly intelligent monkeys to use)
Both handle IPTC, both have a concept of categories (although IMatch gives you a heirachy with child categories etc which Picasa does not seem to do with it's 'Labels')
Picasa2 does have a nice feature where you can apply basic filters and effects to images without actually touching the original image... it will remember these in a text file in the same folder as the image and will apply them any time you view the image.
Both allow creation of CD's with slideshows however IMatch gives you all sorts of extra capabilities with creating VCD's etc
So far, I have not found a nice way to use keywords with IMatch and this is one area where Picasa2 has a significant advantage... simply selecting your image(s) and pressing Ctrl-K allows you to assign keywords to the IPTC data for the image, then all you need to do is start typing the words you want in the search box of Picasa2 and your images are displayed almost instantly.
I have a couple thousand images on my PC, of which I have keyworded a few hundred... just typing "win wet 04" showed me all the wet t-shirt photos from the 2004 Winchester motorcycle rally in the blink of an eye LOL.
NivlacNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Picasa2 was posted on slashdot a minute after my first post so that worked out nicely. All my photos are on a local drive so that works out fine. The lack of a heirachy sucks, but it's free so it'll do for now! :-)
infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:18 AM   #5

I'm not sure what you mean by "use keywords". You can create your own IPTC tags in IMatch and I believe they are searchable (but I haven't tried.)

Picasa2 does look like a nice package and should be looked at seriously. Not as feature rich as IMatch, but not everyone needs what it offers.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:39 PM   #6

Photo Mechanic is an imagebrowser with an IPTC editing function.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote