Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:42 PM   #1

All,

Just a thought as a newbie... Just looking here and its a great site ( and yes there is this general section ) how ever although you have some software specific areas for suggestions and tips etc I can't see a general one for the use of the cameras ( except for specific models ).

What I mean is for questions like... what is the best settings and way to use your camera for 'this' situation. Others could even create how to's before the question is asked.

You could have each title like this.... Camera - Situation - Effect - FAQ or questtion ie... "Z55 Night time- long exposure - FAQ".

Comments ( Tell me to shut up as well cos I am a newbie and might not know what I am talking about here )

Terran
ccsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:46 PM   #2

There was talk about doing this a few months ago with doing a studio "how to" section. The thought was people would post photos using their studio lights and would explain how the lights were set up, and what the camera settings were.

It was working pretty well for a few days, but fizzled out.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:15 AM   #3

While I still try to post what my settings were on certain images, it never really seemed to catch on with the general population here (maybe it came across as being arrogant or something).

As for you particular question...it's next to impossible to come up with a specific FAQ for every possible camera & shooting situation. Your best bet is to post your question in the forum for your camera model & hope that someone has already delt with that issue before.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:15 AM   #4

Terran - This idea pops up every once in a while, which means there is some value to it,as a general concept.

The problem quickly becomes one of great complexity for a lot of reasons.

Hundreds of camera/lens combinations
Hundreds of Tripod/head/flash unit/studio light combinations
Thousands of camera settings
What experience level is the audience?
Shooting conditions - Indoors/Outdoors - Day- Night
Subject matter - static -moving- unknown

This list goes on for dozens of lines.

Then you have got the "human element" some people offer their opinion, others just can't be wrong, others just disagree in general about things like "how many threads on a quick release plate". Generally about six or seven answers down the line people are off on a tangent and have forgotten what the heck the original question was. Sometimes conflicts develop and the Moderator has to step in.

But - other than that, I think ya' got one heck of an idea - keep campaigning.

Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:49 AM   #5

This is such a friendly forum.When I have seen a photo of interest to me I have asked how it was taken and most of the time, the owner is willing to share. It is really great to that effect.

That may be why the other idea doesn't work well. Everyone is so willing to help each of us get good pics, they share freely. I have seen photos that are so very well done, and those people are willing to help guys like me who don't have a clue. I understand so much more than when I began viewing this forum a few months ago. Thanks everyone.

Kalypso, your comment about sharing info. with each shot is good and one we might try to improve on.

Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 3:22 PM   #6

Setiprime wrote:
Quote:
Terran - This idea pops up every once in a while, which means there is some value to it,as a general concept.

The problem quickly becomes one of great complexity for a lot of reasons.

Hundreds of camera/lens combinations
Hundreds of Tripod/head/flash unit/studio light combinations
Thousands of camera settings
What experience level is the audience?
Shooting conditions - Indoors/Outdoors - Day- Night
Subject matter - static -moving- unknown

This list goes on for dozens of lines.

Then you have got the "human element" some people offer their opinion, others just can't be wrong, others just disagree in general about things like "how many threads on a quick release plate". Generally about six or seven answers down the line people are off on a tangent and have forgotten what the heck the original question was. Sometimes conflicts develop and the Moderator has to step in.

But - other than that, I think ya' got one heck of an idea - keep campaigning.
Quote:
Yes you are right how ever my thought was based on having a set format... ie ( http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10970 ) where I also visit.
Quote:
This way you get a eay to read format to say what the topics about.
Quote:
Terran
ccsnet is offline   Reply With Quote