Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 13, 2002, 1:14 PM   #1

Default Toshiba PDR-M70 firmware upgrade problem...can anyone help?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and already have a question! I have a Toshiba PDR-M70 camera and tried to do the firmware upgrade from Toshiba's website (.bin file). I left the original 16MB SmartMedia card in the camera (I didn't upgrade to a larger capacity). Well, I get to the part where the screen displays "ERASE", "PROGRAM", "VERIFY", and "CHK SUM". The word "COMPLETED" will appear at the bottom of the display when the upgrade is finished" then nothing comes on the LCD when I try to do the next steps (going into set-up mode). The lens is stuck out and won't go in. I've tried doing the update again but get stuck at the same place. Nothing (menus) don't appear on the LCD.

Was I suppose to have a different (larger) memory card for the upgrade? Any suggestions? I plan on buying a 128 MB card and Flash Path adapter and trying again. I can't get the camera to connect with the computer now so I'm going to try using Flash Path.

Thank you in advance. Hope this isn't too confusing or wordy.
aerospaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2002, 7:04 AM   #2

Problem solved! I went to Circuit City and bought a 128MB SmartMedia card, a Flash Path adapter, and a new battery (which I didn't really need). I'm thinking the problem stemed from trying to do the firmware update w/out a larger media card (I guess that's what the update was for and it didn't recognize the 16MB disk). Anyway, it works! I can now take 109 high res pics and over 1,000 low res. The 128MB disk is worth it...that extra battery will come in handy now! Maybe this will help someone in the future.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 7:20 AM   #3

How long does your Flash Path adaptor take to transfer 128Mb of files? I assume it's the floppy adaptor, like mine.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 7:50 AM   #4

It is the floppy kind. Haven't got the chance to transfer any pictures yet. I was going to get a USB reader but decided just to get the adapter. I figure I can use it like a zip disk from computer to computer also (especially if some older computers don't have USB). It does make it easier to transfer w/out having to take the camera out (and I always come close to dropping the camera because of all the wires hanging out!). I imagine USB is still faster? I'll let you know.