Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:55 PM   #1

I'm curious - what does someone who takes video with a digicam do with it? I see lots of comments about video modes, and I don't get it. I've got a miniDV camcorder for video, and I end up taking it into my PC, edit, and burn to DVD. Am I missing the boat? Are people taking their AVI (or MEPG or QuickTime) files from their digital camera and integrating them into finished products? Or is it more like they're emailed to grandma or posted on a website?:?:
cz9h3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:56 PM   #2

Nobody has an opinion! Does that mean that video isn't being shot by anyone on these forums?
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:03 PM   #3

People who want serious video use their video camera. Photo cameras are good for video grab shots, but obviously the quality is going to be less than using a decent mini dv videocam.

The people I know who use their digicam for videos tend to save them with their pictures as little grab shots. So if their emailing their friends, they may include a few photos and maybe a short 10-20 second clip.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:35 PM   #4

I haven't used video seriously yet but I plan to (that's why I bought my Canon S1 IS over some of its competitors). So far I've just been saving little clips (approx. 1 to 3 minutes each) here and there. My plan is to burn them to DVD at some point (but my obsolete PC and lack of DVD burner is hurting me now). I also plan to take longer videos when it suits me. I personally don't e-mail them or put them on a website (I shoot at 640x480 and it is too big to do that).

As far as why people would desire video, well, there are a couple of reasons.

First of all, some people don't want to pay for a DV. I sort of fit into this camp. I would prefer to have a device that does both with reasonable cost.

Second, some people really don't want to carry around multiple devices. For example, some don't want to carry a DV/camcorder and digicam on a vacation. In such a case, you have to sacrifice one for the other. Some pick digicam over DV. Doing so will mean that your video is inferior but at least you'll be able to take, say, a 2 minute clip of some event during your vacation or whatever.

Thirdly, shooting video is totally different from pictures. Video requires you to shoot long periods (minutes to hours) and you must have the patience and willingness to do it. Many people would rather take a picture, which is much quicker, than take video of their time spent on vacation/whatever. Some people are willing to take video but to many, it is work.

Lastly, some people use the digicam to capture candid moments. This is especially true with the ultra-compact digicams. You are more likely to have an ultra-compact digicam on hand to take a candid moment than a DV.

I think you'll see video become ubiquitous on digicams as more and more cameras incorporate [email protected] video (or better) possibly with MPEG4 compression.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:18 AM   #5

In many ways I agree with Sivaram, I gota camera which can take short videos(3 mins max and 30 for best quality). I don't want a mini DV because I am not into filming, I prefer to shoot pictures.I find it amazing that with my camera, I can take very good pictures and do some short clips. I don't care much about the quality of the clips, but I still find that the ones I took with my A95 are actually excellent.

Since photo is the most important for me and I don't see myself going everywhere with a mini DV and a digital camera, I find the compromise to be excellent. If I start to need a mini DV, I will buy one, but for now, I take a lot more pictures than I do clips.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 4:05 PM   #6

Maybe someday all the devices and fuctions will converge without tradeoffs - but as of today I don't see the use. I certainly wouldn't use my MiniDV to take still pictures! Yes, this feature is talked up a lot today, but the quality and convenience doesn't approach a dedicated digicam - yet. Same for video from a digicam.

Take a laptop pc - my kids can watch dvd's on it in the car. However, I have to wait for a long boot up, instruct my wife each time on my password, start the DVD software, attach the cassette adaptor and power adaptor - don't even ask what happens when you stop for lunch and have to start all over and find the right spot in the movie! And of course changing movies is a major pain as you unstrap the computer, unhook cables, etc, to eject the DVD tray. A dedicated DVD player is tons easier to use - better yet if it's built in and requires the least number of hoops to jump through!

Maybe I'll play with digicam video, and I guess for those unplanned moments where you don't have the camcorder it would work. I just havent' been convinced....yet!
Old Jan 24, 2005, 5:38 PM   #7
ir

I'll throw in my two cents. I have a cam that takes video, and it's nice to have. So far I've just saved them with my photos and I watch 'em once in a while. Since they are short, it's easy and great for bringing a moment back to memory. Someday I may compile some onto a DVD as well.

I don't have a dedicated video camera, and honestly I'm not sure I'd use it much (I have no children). I find most people who bring them on vacation end up with video of scenes that are better captured in a still--ever watch endless video of scenery or situations where not a whole lot really happens? It's kind of a snoozer. My cam limits the length, and sometimes I think that's a good thing--capture the moment, someone telling a story, doing a funny dance, whatever, and leave out the endless nothing-much-going-on-scenes.

Stills are by far the most important thing for me, but I won't take the kind of purist, elitist attitude I sometimes see on this issue where "real" photographers don't use cams with video (although I would like to have a dSLR for the picture quality). Video can just be fun, and I do use it once in a while.

ir
ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:39 PM   #8

ir wrote:
Quote:
I find most people who bring them on vacation end up with video of scenes that are better captured in a still--ever watch endless video of scenery or situations where not a whole lot really happens?
ir
Even worse is the amount of time you spend videotaping. If you are into video that's cool but most people, including me, wouldn't want to spend hours videotaping during our precious vacation time. Video also requires more editing time. I'm just a newbie so I don't edit my photographs much (if at all) but video really requires cutting and that takes a while.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:41 PM   #9

cz9h3d wrote:
Quote:
I just havent' been convinced....yet!
Key word is, YET. Once digicams offer tv resolution with reasonable memory space usage, watch out. They will still be inferior to DV but the convenience is far higher.