Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:20 PM   #1

How would you make use of the info provided in the histogram, to get the most out of this feature? How does it apply to raw photos before and after?
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:58 PM   #2

The histogram tells you where the dark/light values fall in your exposure and if they are blocked up at one end or the other. IE: you overexposed or underexposed the image. It has nothing to do with shooting RAW or JPG.

I have my camera set to display a small thumbnail, the histogram and the exposure data for a second after each image. If I chimp(look at it, and yes I often make the requiste sound :lol it lets me know quickly if any adjustment is needed for the next image.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:00 PM   #3

This link can help you learn about histograms:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:49 PM   #4

Thanks...very much, for your repilies.I have the site marked in my favorites and will read it. I had the hunch that I was not getting all I could get from the little I know about using the histogram. I grasp what it does. How to use it to it's best advantage was my shortfall. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:40 PM   #5

How to use it is very picture dependent. You'll learn to look at a scene and have an idea what the histogram should look like. Then you can look at what you got and see if its right or wrong.. and how to correct it (exposure compensation is how I do it.)

They are a very powerful tool, so learning about them is useful.

BTW, that site is really very good. Almost anything you read there will be worth it (and the guy is a great photographer to boot... just looking at the accompaning pictures is a learning experience.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:43 PM   #6

--<Live Histogram>-- Don't leave home without it.

Seriously, if your camera has live histogram view; use it _all_ the time. IMHO, this is the single most useful feature of a digi-cam (and something missing from dSLRs). Playback/ instant review histogram is great, but not as useful as having the ability to get the shot right the first time.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote