Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2002, 2:57 PM   #1

Default Can home-theatre type DVD player show slide show?

Hi,

Does anyone know how a digital slide show could be produced that would play through a home-theatre type of DVD player to a television?

A friend of mine wants to display images in his store window and an LCD monitor large enough (and computer) is beyond his budget, but a larger (like 36") TV with DVD player is quite reasonable.

Is there any brand/model of DVD player which can do what we want? And if so, what format should the disk be? I don't have a DVD burner, but hope that a CD could be used.

The only idea I have for this is to use some kind of video editing software to create a movie of still images. And if I do it this way, what resolution should the images be?

Is there an easier/better way?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Tim (in Montreal)
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2002, 3:12 PM   #2

I have an Apex 1200 and it will play a slide show of jpg files. What type of dvd player is it?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 3:54 PM   #3
Administrator

You'll find programs here that let you use a CD-R to make photo disks that play in DVD players:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_cd-dvd.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 6:55 PM   #4

The Apex AD-1100W DVD player (about $80 at Wal-Mart) plays MP3's, DVD's and JPEG's burned to CDs without modification.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 8:04 PM   #5

The Yelo DVD800 also allows this feature.. i used DVD Pictureshow.

Kind regards
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 5:56 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...

I found a trial version of Ulead's DVD PictureShow on the net and experimented with it last night, but found that what I had in mind might not be possible...

A slide show to play on a DVD player would actually be a "movie", and most likely a VCD (at least that's all I could produce on my CD burner as I don't have one for DVD). And a movie has a definate start and end. Meaning it would take human intervention to RESTART the show (movie) when it finishes.

What we had wanted to do was display the show over and over, unattended. After experimenting a bit I believe this is simply not possible unless we hook up a computer.

If anyone knows better, please let me know, but for now I guess I'll have to see how cheaply I can get a computer to feed the television. Portability (of the show) isn't a requirement, so I guess this solution is not all that bad.

Thanks again everyone.

Tim
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 12:58 PM   #7

About a year ago I picked up a IBM laptop 390e for around $450. It's only a 300mhz but it does what I need. It also has a s-video output for using a tv as a larger monitor, I haven't tried it my self. But I am sure this would work just fine for what you need.
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote