Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:09 AM   #1

Anyone have suggestions for gloves that work best for outdoor night sports shooting? During the fall I used regular winter gloves, didn't work well with my D70 and will work even worse this year with the D1H due to even smaller buttons.
I've been thinking something like those Mechanix Wear gloves, but I'm open to suggestions.
Also, I'm wondering if there are gloves that would work well on a camera and could also be used on workout equipment at the gym or I would be better off getting separate pairs of gloves. Thanks!
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:16 AM   #2

For gloves for the camera, I use a pair of Isotoners. They are form fitting and have a good grip and you can actually wear them as an ordinary pair of gloves. As for the gym, I'd stick with a separate set of gloves - most gloves for the gym have no fingers and you need extra padding and reinforcement that ordinary gloves can't provide. You can get a good pair for under $20 and they'll last you a couple years.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:33 AM   #3

I use a lightweight glove linermade of polypropolene. They are blue in color and made of the same material as winter sock liners or long underwear.

They keep my hands warm in most situations; a few week ago I was in a blind at 8 degrees. Another thing I do is use a muff to stick my hands in if they get cold. You can put a hand warmer inside these if need be.

When walking, my hands generally stay pretty warm with the liners only.

These liners are thin enough to grasp and feel the buttons on my Canon 20d and are inexpensive.

Hope this is helpful.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:50 AM   #4

I use a glove liner a well. I find they aren't as good as I'd like though. I picked them up at REI. At about 0 degrees this weekend my fingers still got numb with them inside another pair of polartec gloves.

LowePro makes some gloves that I'm considering. One thing I'd add is make sure they offer some protection from the wind.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:05 AM   #5

I have been wrestling with the same problem here in Michigan.

My latest is a regular pair of insulated (thinsulate) gloves with just the tip of the right index finger snipped off. When not shooting - I pull my finger back in to keep it from getting frostbitten. you can also do the right thumb (comes in handy for the 20D.

Army/Navy surplus is a good source for cold weather gear.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:47 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies, particularly JohnG for the suggestion of separate pairs of gloves. :homey:
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:49 PM   #7

a pair of polartec gloves with windstopper membrain in them and not too thick. any good mountain or ski shop should have them. north face, mountain hardware, lowe alpine, ems, and so on. they usually have some form of higher friction material on the palm and fingers. hands in pocket nice and warm. hands out on camera windproof and allows for reasonable dexterity. in real cold get shell glove large enough to fit over current pair allowing for movement added insulation.

eric s the lowe pro gloves are actually made by manzella and can be gotten much cheaper at local mountain shops in your area like ems under there logo. they are a knit glove so the wind resistance is a big 0. the windstopper polartec gloves are much better.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 4:36 PM   #8

My favorite is a pair of "Choppers": leather mittens with a separate wool liner. They are easy to get on and off, and can easily hold an iron-oxide hand warmer. A really thin pair of gloves on the inside of those might suit some folks when it gets really cold, but just the Choppers work for me down to -10F.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:08 PM   #9

sjms, thanks for the warning. I've got an REI gift card that I need to use, so I'll go look for some gloves like you describe.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote