Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2002, 10:19 AM   #1

Default Canon G2 and win XP

In Steves review of the Canon G2 it doesn't mention win XP as one of the os that supports the camera.I"M guessing it does...and hope so as I have already ordered the camera.I thought I posted this before . Didn"t see it so here goes again.
David
d77avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2002, 1:59 PM   #2
BRJ

Although I do not have the G2, I'm almost positive that you won't have any problems with XP. Should be compatible, but in the meantime why not check Windows XP hardware compatibility list and see what you can come up with.
BRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 9:04 PM   #3

Bought a G2 two months ago and it works just fine with XP. I loaded the Canon Zoom Browser software that comes with the camera. When you connect the camera to the PC using the supplied USB cable, the PC recognizes the camera and asks if you want to upload the new pictures. When you say yes, it transfers the pictures to your PC. Instructions on software are pretty clear. Your default location for the pictures can be "My Pictures" under the "My Documents" folder or "Shared Pictures" under the "Shared Documents" folder(or any other location youwant). You can choose one of these locations at time of installation or change later. I chose the "Shared" location so my wife and daughter can access them when they are logged onto their location. You're gonna love the G2. Incredible camera. Steve's digicam did a review on it and compared it to the Nikon 5000. The G2 won hands down even though the Nikon costs $250 more and is a 5 mp camera. By the way, I went out and bought PaintShopPro version 7.04 that works with XP. It's an easier program to work with, in my opinion than PhotoShop that comes with your camera ENJOY! :lol:
Richard Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:39 AM   #4

Thanks for the help.Its coming tomorrow .Cant wait.I was waiting for the D-SLR's to come down in price...but in the meantime my wife sort of mentioned she wanted a digicam...so being the wonderful husband I am here we are.I hoping that this may be enough for both of us.
David
Old Nov 18, 2002, 8:29 AM   #5

Go to this canon web site for XP information.
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...windowsxp.html

Enjoy your camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 8:34 AM   #6

David,

I also wanted an SLR digicam but had the same problem you had on price plus they were a little too bulky for my wife and daugter.

I don't know if you ordered a larger CF card besides the 32mb card that comes with the camera. If not, you will want to. High resolution shots without compression are 2mb+. I prefer shooting in this mode just in case I want an 8x10 printout and compressing later if I am going to email or post to web. The 32mb card saves only 15 pictures in this mode. I bought a 256mb CF card for $79 on ebay. On high resolution, no compression I get over 125 shots. On low resolution, full compression, you can take 2700+ pictures.

By the way, I don't know if you have a photo printer. If not, you will want to get one. I recently bought a Canon i850 ink jet for $169 (w/$30 rebate) I get incredible photos, even 8x10s. This printer is also one of the fastest on black and white. If interested, read the review here on Steve's Digicams review section.

When you get the camera and have any questions, I would be glad to help if you need it (I'm not an expert but an improving novice). If you want to send a direct message, you can email me at: [email protected]
Richard Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 9:15 AM   #7

Richard has a good point. www.newegg.com have great prices on 128 CFs. Look here: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...=compact+flash
Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:13 AM   #8

thanks everyone for the info.I do have an epson 1280 printer.Also a 420ex flash that I got for my elan 7 filmcam.I know that works w/ the g2.I also got a 128mb card.probably get a 256 later.I also got the lens tube and some closeup lenses.I think my wife may begin to expect that maybe this present wasnt totally for her.

David
Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:15 AM   #9

Good luck and let your wife have some of the fun.