Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:15 PM   #1

if a photo is taken in B&W on a digital camera is there a way to convert it to color? does the camera store the color data when it takes a black and white?
I accidentaly took a picture in b&w mode that I wish would have been in color

funktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:48 PM   #2

I do believe You are stuck with a black & White photo now. Some of the extra crap they have on these new camaras can really be a curse.

I sure would like to see A new coolpix typecamera come out that will just take pictures and leave all of the "DO IT FOR ME CRAP" left off. It would use buttons and You would never have to go into A menue to change a setting.

The closest thing I found is My D100 Nikon. It is great. I also have a nikon 8700 and it is really nice for one picture at a time but the digital viewfinder sucks if You want to take two pictures in a row. It also is loaded with a bunch of junk I will never ever use. Three menues instead of just one is a rotten joke when you need to change a setting in a hurry.

Your camera really don't need that stupid black and white feature because You can discard color in most any program. they even will do it for You in Walmart if You want B&W.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:01 PM   #3

If you took the picture in Black&White or the Sepia options, you are stuck with those modes. There's no software that is capable of predicting the true colors of a B&W picture. It's better to just shoot them in color and convert them to B&W while still retaining the original colored pict.

With respect to Ronnie948's pov regarding leaving out the B&W and other "crap" features. I'd say I can only mildly agree with it. It does sound logical to do away with those stuffs because of photo-editing softwares. But we should also consider that no matter how advance technology have become or how much education received, there will still be people who would love to shoot digital pictures but don't know (or wouldn't want) to alter them with softwares... for whatever reasons they may have.Besides, I think the manufacturers think it looks good on the spec sheet.
:-)
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:32 AM   #4

sorry, but you could color the photos with a coloring programme:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:26 AM   #5

Here's a picture I took with 400 b&w film, scanned, and partially colorized in Paint Shop Pro. Obviously, it would have been more difficult if I had wanted to colorize my greatnephew.
Attached Images

lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:53 AM   #6

hows this? hope he is a blue eyed blond:-)

Old Jan 29, 2005, 5:43 AM   #7

Well, the eyes are blue, but he was already beginning to get that red/orange tint that has become a flaming carrot top today. :-)

That's very good though!
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 5:47 AM   #8

Hi Julie,

Your colouring work is very good. May I ask what prog you are using?

abw,

Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:20 AM   #9

a programme called black magic, it's an old programme and there are much better and easier ones to use around now, Im thinking of upgrading sometime as this one is fairly limited with what I can do.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:27 AM   #10

a friend of mine uses paint shop pro 5 and gets much better results than I do.

try this link

http://www.heffy.com/Colorizing1.htm