Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 17, 2002, 8:41 AM   #1

Default HELP! Using a US camera in the UK? Power Supply?

Hi there guys,
I've found this site really useful and have decided I want to buy the Canon S230. I live in England and the camera is available here under the name Canon IXUS V3. It is exactly the same camera but it is 340 minimum and I can get one from a US website for $309 (203). I want to save my self the money and do this but I'm confused about whether it will work in the UK power supply.

I am aware I need to buy an adaptor cos your plugs are different. Most adaptors I have seen don't include a voltage converter. Is it important or necessary that I get one with a voltage converter aswell and will the camera work ok if I do this?

What about if I bought a spare adaptor from Canon UK for the UK version of this product (the IXUS V3)? Would this be likely to work with the US version the S230 or are the cameras different aswell as the chargers?

Please, please help guys. It'd be really appreciated!

Thanks

Oh and Steve if you read this could you set up a little bit on your site about using US cameras in the UK cos there are 60 million of us Brits and digital cameras are really taking off here!
ukblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2002, 9:12 AM   #2

Hi,
Usually Canon's charger and adapters are configured for both U.S. (60~ 120V AC) and European & U.K. (50~ 240 VAC) both voltages are measured at line - line drops make it vary from 110VAC to 220VAC, etc.

You "should" need only a plug adapter (get it at the airport) to adapt the U.S. to your U.K. style.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 11:43 PM   #3

I have raised the same issue tonight - I have just purchased a camera while staying in the US that I will want o use back home in UK. Any help that you can offer appreciated!

Sam
SAMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 12:12 AM   #4

Unless it's a Kodak, the probability is that the charger is configured for both U.K./European and U.S. current.

Check on the charger itself and it should say. If you can tell me the make and model, I'll check it out for you.

Lin
Old Nov 24, 2002, 12:19 AM   #5

wow Lin thanks for the quick reply. The camera IS a kodak the model is LS443. I have been surfing the net and have noticed that these are available in the UK and so am hopeful.

thanks
SAMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 1:04 AM   #6

Catalog number 8080673 is listed as a Lithium Ion battery charger - accessory - so is not included with camera. The fact that you can display video in either PAL or NTSC would tend to indicate that it's configured for both US and other countries.

The camera does come with an AC adapter to 5V DC - since this isn't listed as an accessory, I would assume it would have to be dual voltage. Here's a link to Kodak's PDF file with complete specs.

Best regards,

Lin

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ledSpec_en.pdf
Old Nov 24, 2002, 8:15 AM   #7

Also, don't forget to add 50 for customs charges. 8)
JTravern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 8:08 AM   #8

If you buy your cam in US and it has a TV out feature, this might not work in UK as we're PAL system I in UK and US is Never The Same Colour(NTSC)!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote