Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 17, 2002, 1:04 PM   #1

Default 4 or 5mp camera with built-in wide angel lens?

Is there any such camera in the market? A lot of times I need wide angle mode and I don't like to us add-on lenses all the time. Can someone tell whether there is a 4 or 5p camera in the market with a lens that starts from 28mm (or lower)?
hegisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2002, 1:16 PM   #2

Default Re: 4 or 5mp camera with built-in wide angel lens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegisin
Can someone tell whether there is a 4 or 5p camera in the market with a lens that starts from 28mm (or lower)?
There are Nikon Coolpix 5000, and Minolta D7/D7i/D7Hi .
May be other makes too, I don't know
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 5:41 PM   #3

Also the Kodak DC4800. That and the two mentioned by KCan are the only ones that show up in the features search at DPReview with 28mm equiv - none shorter.

Lack of a really short lens is one of the drawbacks of all but the full-frame pro cameras that use the same lenses as their 35mm cousins. Some cameras will take an add-on adapter of various quality and price.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 6:08 PM   #4

The Minoltas have a 28-200 equivalent zoom, while the Nikon 5000 has less, I think about 28-80 or 90. However, the Nikon has an incredible macro capability, 7/10 of an inch. Both are excellent cameras.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:15 AM   #5

Thanks for your help. I'm looking now into the Dimage 7 HI. How relevant are the "weak" points of this camera (according to reviews)?
I understand that no camera is perfect.
I currently own a Olympus c-2100 and I'm already satisfied if it comes to 4x6" prints.
Will the Dimage 7 HI produce a much better result? Is the Dimage 7 HI also good enough for A3 prints?
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:40 AM   #6
NHL

hegisin

Need some input here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...600&highlight=
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:09 AM   #7

@NHL: As you own a D7i, please just tell me about the result if you print A3. Any problem?

I certainly prefer the 28-200mm wide angle lens over the Nikon 5700. Nikon 5000 might be an option though. But again 28-200mm covers my needs.

I'm just a bit confused over the noise discussion. Is it a small minor minus or is it of any importance? The discussion looks to me like a discussion about some Audio High-End products, if you know what I mean.

My feeling is that the noise topic is irrelevant, as it might apply only under very special (rare) circumstances.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 12:09 PM   #8
NHL

hegisin

It depends mostly on your expectation, I have no problem; However, if you want a Nikon result you're not going to get it with a Minolta! Minolta philosophy since the very first D7, which I have, is to get the optimum out of the hardware and let the owners do whatever with the output: Wider color space (it'll look flat on an sRGB monitor), less noise reduction, etc...

The Sony'll get you there the fastest (and even Nikon), but the color tend to get to one end of the spectrum, and will leave you with less room for maneuvering in PhotoShop afterward, but that's just my opinion.

It's just like a person chosing a high-end audio product with a penchant for a Mark Levinson will never be satisfied with a Krell, and you know what I mean... See the noise for yourself:
http://www.pbase.com/nhl/d7_old_test
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 3:15 PM   #9

Hegisin

Based on reports from 7i users, noise will be often be visible at A3 size. Why don't you print a couple 7i shots you download from the web at the size you want and see if you like the results? Noise bothers some people and not others. You can try some that have been post processed to reduce noise and some that haven't, if that matters to you.

I've seen zero evidence for the claim that Sony (and Nikon shots) leave less room for manipulation in Photoshop, or that Sony 717 color is less accurate (707 maybe). But since you want a wide angle, that doesn't matter. Just print out some Minolta and Nikon shots and judge for yourself.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote