Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1

How come no Sonys have StitchAssist mode? I'm torn between Canon SD300 and DSC-W1, but, StitchAssist is stopping me from buying the W1.

Are there any Sony models with StitchAssist?
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:49 PM   #2

I've never heard of this option on any camera. Stitching is a software function, not camera.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3

Please scroll down on this page to find out about the StitchAssist mode: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...SD300_pg3.html There are many other cameras that have this feature, but, no Sonys.

Please also note that I'm talking about StitchAssist mode, NOT, stitching within the camera itself.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:34 AM   #4

Steve's Review said:
Quote:
The StitchAssist Panorama mode aids you via on-screen prompts to achieve the proper overlap of sequential
photos for later "stitching" with the PhotoStitch program. You can capture up to 26 images in either
left-to-right or right-to-left orientation. After the first picture is taken the white balance and
exposure is locked until you exit the StitchAssist mode. Use of a tripod is required.
That used to be called "Panorama Mode", and it is a bit silly if your camera has full manual controls.
Just set your f/stop, exposure, ISO, ... and take care to keep the camera in the same possition as you rotate.
It really isn't hard to remember what was in the edge of the last photo and get the required overlap.

The "requiement" to use a tripod is also silly: a tripod is always a good idea for just about any kind of
photography, but ... In a fair number of situations, a just fine panorama can be done hand-held.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:04 AM   #5

Hi, I just bought the Nikon 8800 8mp and it has a feature to make panoramic shots.

It allows your to put the frames together, sounds like stiching. You take one picture

move the camera over and you can see about 1/4 of the previous image. You can see through that 1/4 image to line up points on the 2nd picture. I haven't actually taken pictures and printed them but have messed with that mode and it seems like it would work real good and easy.
tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:19 AM   #6

BillDrew,
I just wanted to say that at least at first glance, that stitching was really well done. I don't see the seams at all.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:05 PM   #7

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
It really isn't hard to remember what was in the edge of the last photo and get the required overlap.
I disagree... no offense

Unless you are quite experienced, it's hard to line up pics. I actually love the stitch assist in the Canons because I can line up things better. Since the bundled Canon software is only limited to panoramas one image wide (or max 2x2), lining up perfectly is important...

Stitch assist is one of the most fun features in a camera for a newbie like me
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 4:16 PM   #8

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
I disagree... no offense

Unless you are quite experienced, it's hard to line up pics. I actually love the stitch assist in the Canons
because I can line up things better. Since the bundled Canon software is only limited to panoramas
one image wide (or max 2x2), lining up perfectly is important...

Stitch assist is one of the most fun features in a camera for a newbie like me
There should never be offense taken when someone uses a different technique: panoramas or otherwise.

You do make a good point: simple stitching software (all that comes with any camera) does demand much more
care in shooting. I use Panorama Tools (with PTGui as the graphic front-end). PT is powerfull enough that
I can get away with any overlap at all or a large amount of parallax error if there is largish overlap
so I can put the stitch lines where they don't show.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:25 PM   #9

BillDrew wrote:
[quote]Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
You do make a good point: simple stitching software (all that comes with any camera) does demand much more
care in shooting. I use Panorama Tools (with PTGui as the graphic front-end). PT is powerfull enough that
I can get away with any overlap at all or a large amount of parallax error if there is largish overlap
so I can put the stitch lines where they don't show.
It's not necessarily the inability of the software to handle the seams but more the fact that the pic space is wasted. For instance, if you don't line things up properly, then when you crop the fully merged pics, you'll waste pixels (i.e. parts of the pic above and below (if you are stitching horizontally) will have to be trimmed).

In essence, the problem I find is that the cameras and the freely supplied software (at least with the Canon S1 IS) can't handle "infinite" width by "infinite" height. If they did, then I think lining up won't matter too much. I would love to have the ability to take one row of horizontal pics, then another row, and then another, and so on (or grow the pic from the center all the way around in a spiral)...

Anyway, panoromas are cool
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:44 PM   #10

The in-camera stitch function is certainly a clever feature that Canon has and Sony does not. Each camera has a different feature set. There are things that Sony cameras have that other cameras don't have.

Sony's holographic focus assist light is a feature that many other cameras would love to have since it makes low light focusaing practically foolproof. Sony Nightframing makes all issues of dim viewfinders and difficulty composing in low light a thing of the past.

There are post-processing options to stitch panoramas together but there is nothing that can help after the fact if you can't get the shot.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote